Are You My Mother? (TMart meta #1)

Puzzles created by members of Xword-Muggles.com. Here you can post links to puzzles of any kind that you created - crosswords (meta or non-meta), cryptic, variety, word search, number puzzles, riddles, brainteasers and anything else.
TMart

Post by TMart »

About time to post the solution

Are You My Mother? The meta answer is a five letter word.

Solution:

First observation: There are 5 clues that contain the words “mother” and “child”:

6A: Where are mother might take her child for a subway ride in the San Fran area: BART
22A: Gospel that has lots of stories about a mother and her child: LUKE
54A: Small stones that a mother and child might find on the beach: PEBBLES
62A: The type of mother than might build a dam for her child to live in: BEAVER
10D: 1st Mo. of the year when a mother might have a child: JAN

Second observation: These answers are also the names of five fictional characters, all of whom have mothers (side note: famously, some Disney princesses were not so lucky, but that’s for another meta!):

BART Simpson – mother: Marge
LUKE Skywalker – mother: Padme
PEBBLES Flintstone – mother: Wilma
BEAVER Cleaver – mother: June
JAN Brady – mother: Carol

Third observation: The five mother’s names are hidden within five clues:

1A: CaJUN Eating region
41A: A gramMAR GEeks……
45A: CAR OLd rich guys…..
52A: NeW ILM Animated…..
72A: IPAD MEchanical

Final observation: The first letters of the grid words indicated by these five clues spell the meta answer, BIRTH, in grid order:

1A: BAYOU
41A: ITS
45A: ROLLS
52A: TAUNTAUN
72A: HOME

This meta almost came to a grinding halt when, in trying to hide Wilma, I realized that other than quite a few obscure Swiss towns, there were no words that ended in WIL. Then I Googled “ILM”, and figured the Star Wars angle might be a nice hint towards the meta thought process. That was a close one!

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback and the kind words. This was a lot of fun to put together, and I’ll hopefully have some more ideas soon that I can turn into metas.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TMart wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:25 pm About time to post the solution

Are You My Mother? The meta answer is a five letter word.

Solution:

First observation: There are 5 clues that contain the words “mother” and “child”:

6A: Where are mother might take her child for a subway ride in the San Fran area: BART
22A: Gospel that has lots of stories about a mother and her child: LUKE
54A: Small stones that a mother and child might find on the beach: PEBBLES
62A: The type of mother than might build a dam for her child to live in: BEAVER
10D: 1st Mo. of the year when a mother might have a child: JAN

Second observation: These answers are also the names of five fictional characters, all of whom have mothers (side note: famously, some Disney princesses were not so lucky, but that’s for another meta!):

BART Simpson – mother: Marge
LUKE Skywalker – mother: Padme
PEBBLES Flintstone – mother: Wilma
BEAVER Cleaver – mother: June
JAN Brady – mother: Carol

Third observation: The five mother’s names are hidden within five clues:

1A: CaJUN Eating region
41A: A gramMAR GEeks……
45A: CAR OLd rich guys…..
52A: NeW ILM Animated…..
72A: IPAD MEchanical

Final observation: The first letters of the grid words indicated by these five clues spell the meta answer, BIRTH, in grid order:

1A: BAYOU
41A: ITS
45A: ROLLS
52A: TAUNTAUN
72A: HOME

This meta almost came to a grinding halt when, in trying to hide Wilma, I realized that other than quite a few obscure Swiss towns, there were no words that ended in WIL. Then I Googled “ILM”, and figured the Star Wars angle might be a nice hint towards the meta thought process. That was a close one!

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback and the kind words. This was a lot of fun to put together, and I’ll hopefully have some more ideas soon that I can turn into metas.
Again, this was an excellent meta! Love the multi-layer metas, and you nailed it. More!