Take Five

Puzzles created by members of Xword-Muggles.com. Here you can post links to puzzles of any kind that you created - crosswords (meta or non-meta), cryptic, variety, word search, number puzzles, riddles, brainteasers and anything else.
Al Sisti

Take Five

Post by Al Sisti »

Well, this is it; I'm jumping into the fray. This is my first meta, so I'm curious to see how it plays out.

It can be solved in two different ways. The first is probably like a week 1.5 and the second maybe more like 2.03. So (gulp) here goes:

Take Five.puz
Take Five.pdf

The meta answer is a musical term.
Hector

Post by Hector »

A worthy first effort; thanks!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Another Muggle Meta to torture me! Tough grid, clever cluing, needed Google for some. The meta? I'm no Hector.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Grid done. Meta? No idea. Yet.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I think I'm solving with the Week 1.5 method, but I haven't been able to make it all the way...
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I think I’m into something too, but can’t make it come together.

I tried to make this a week six. Ugh. Found both ways!
Last edited by Beth Tyrpin on Sat May 09, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Got it! Nice work, Al.

I thought the 2.03 was going to produce a different answer - couldn’t quite get there so I tried something else and there it was. Which interestingly gave me confidence in the 1.5 solution.

I’ll refrain from debating your difficulty levels and simply note I counted 2.5-3 ahas. Awesome!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

LesY wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:27 pm Got it! Nice work, Al.

I thought the 2.03 was going to produce a different answer - couldn’t quite get there so I tried something else and there it was. Which interestingly gave me confidence in the 1.5 solution.

I’ll refrain from debating your difficulty levels and simply note I counted 2.5-3 ahas. Awesome!
Thanks very much. It's amazing, isn't it, how when you look at something for so long, it jumps at as obvious, as opposed to rating it as if someone is looking at it for the first time.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Very impressed! Though I'm still With those who can't quite make the (probably) 1.5 method work...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Nice! Al, I have an answer that was fun to find, and it seems to fit, but I don't know if I've gotten there via 1.5 or 2.03 -- or if I've actually gotten there. I've DM'ed you with my answer and a question. Thanks!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Just finished the grid - great cluing! Now looking for the two meta methods.

And I thought the meta week was over! Glad to have something more to do this weekend.

Edit: Found both ways to the answer - great puzzle. Thanks, Al!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I am so stoked that people are doing this and that some have solved it... It feels like when I made some string art thing in the 60s and someone actually bought it. Okay, he may have been fairly medicated, but that would've ruin the analogy.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I finally got it by some method I can’t explain. Pulling it out of the air. I’d really like a complete explanation of both routes.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Got it. And got it.
Both methods.

(Thanks for the confirmation in PM)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Yes, good clues. 32D brought a chuckle, and 2D a tear to the eye. He was a childhood hero to this native Detroiter.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Thanks, Al! I had the triple misfortune of 1) a mistake in the grid 2) a misapplication of the strategy and 3) a bit of ignorance that steered me in the direction of a wrong answer. A kind muggle redirected me. I look forward to the post-reveal discussion.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:28 pm Thanks, Al! I had the triple misfortune of 1) a mistake in the grid 2) a misapplication of the strategy and 3) a bit of ignorance that steered me in the direction of a wrong answer. A kind muggle redirected me. I look forward to the post-reveal discussion.
I can PM the whole solution whenever you're ready.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:35 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:28 pm Thanks, Al! I had the triple misfortune of 1) a mistake in the grid 2) a misapplication of the strategy and 3) a bit of ignorance that steered me in the direction of a wrong answer. A kind muggle redirected me. I look forward to the post-reveal discussion.
I can PM the whole solution whenever you're ready.
Hit me!
Toby

Post by Toby »

That was fun, Al. Thanks. What I think you intended as the harder path was the one I found first, but couldn't get the word I was expecting until I saw the easier path, and then saw how to get there on the harder path. And I learned a new word, though I probably won't get to use it too often.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Toby wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:25 am That was fun, Al. Thanks. What I think you intended as the harder path was the one I found first, but couldn't get the word I was expecting until I saw the easier path, and then saw how to get there on the harder path. And I learned a new word, though I probably won't get to use it too often.
Similar experience!