Sports Illustrated

Puzzles created by members of Xword-Muggles.com. Here you can post links to puzzles of any kind that you created - crosswords (meta or non-meta), cryptic, variety, word search, number puzzles, riddles, brainteasers and anything else.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Sports Illustrated

Post by BrianMac »

I was looking over some older puzzles I had on my computer and found this one, which was submitted to (and rejected by) the New York Times a few years ago. Although it was not originally conceived as a meta-puzzle, it occurred to me that with a little tweaking, it could be converted into one. I would describe it as a Week-1 on the MGWCC scale.

The answer to the meta is the fifth theme entry.

Sports Illustrated.puz
Sports Illustrated.pdf

I hope you enjoy it. Answer will come Sunday afternoon / evening.
boharr

Post by boharr »

I got one!!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Link to Sports Illustrated Excel form.

PM me with questions & suggestions, please.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I'm finding that I'm having to make the following comment more often than I'd like ...

Either this puzzle is harder than the constructor thinks it is (Brian M. guessed it to be about Week 1 level), or I'm just missing something that should be more obvious.

I really like the construction. And the meta clue is intriguing. So I'm not giving up!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:59 pm I'm finding that I'm having to make the following comment more often than I'd like ...

Either this puzzle is harder than the constructor thinks it is (Brian M. guessed it to be about Week 1 level), or I'm just missing something that should be more obvious.

I really like the construction. And the meta clue is intriguing. So I'm not giving up!
I'm with you! Since it was advertised as a Week 1, when I didn't get the meta within a couple minutes, I put it away to spare myself further embarrassment. Though if the answer has something to do with sports, at least I'll have an excuse. (Numbers, sports, and movies are generally rough for me.)
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I should probably stop trying to handicap these, since I don't seem very good at it. :oops: At the risk of giving a hint, I think I have a tendency to want to describe a puzzle as easy when I am self-conscious about the meta mechanism not being very sophisticated. in this case, no special sports knowledge is required.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Brian,
I got the first step. Then ?? Not asking for help. Just letting you know.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Me too. I see what the next step should be, but it doesn't seem to be where I was expecting it to be, so I'm still among the puzzled.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Me three. Now what?
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Cindy wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:22 pm Me three. Now what?
Toby wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:03 pm Me too. I see what the next step should be, but it doesn't seem to be where I was expecting it to be, so I'm still among the puzzled.
Meg wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:51 pm Brian,
Can you guys PM me where you are now and I'll see if I can make the instructions clearer?
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:35 pm
Cindy wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:22 pm Me three. Now what?
Toby wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:03 pm Me too. I see what the next step should be, but it doesn't seem to be where I was expecting it to be, so I'm still among the puzzled.
Meg wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:51 pm Brian,
Can you guys PM me where you are now and I'll see if I can make the instructions clearer?
Just sent pm. But my pm has been only working sporadically. Tell me if you get it.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Got it. And PMed Brian with a suggested change that would IMO be an improvement.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Thanks everyone for the PMs. Sorry the instruction on this one is not as helpful as it could have been.

Let's try this: The meta answer is a fifth sports phrase illustrated in the grid.

Edit: Also, Clue 54-Down should be changed to "Boxer's implement (which has NOTHING to do with the meta).

:)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

pretty sure I got it, PM sent
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Iโ€™m pretty sure I just got it. I am not sure the hint helped. I just all of a sudden saw it. Lol.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Are you sure 54D is not the answer? Or at least part of the answer?

OK, with the new prompt, I think I got it. PM'd Brian.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Here is a little more clarity (I hope). Sorry this one is such a dud.

I think what's causing a lot of confusion is that the mechanism for the fifth "theme" answer is different from the other four, although the title Sports Illustrated applies to all five.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:38 pm Here is a little more clarity (I hope). Sorry this one is such a dud.

I think what's causing a lot of confusion is that the mechanism for the fifth "theme" answer is different from the other four, although the title Sports Illustrated applies to all five.
Itโ€™s not a dud. Itโ€™s definitely early month difficulty. But it is a kind I am not good at typically. Will explain later.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I just saw it. It's easy only after you get it.
LesY

Post by LesY »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:33 pm Thanks everyone for the PMs. Sorry the instruction on this one is not as helpful as it could have been.

Let's try this: The meta answer is a fifth sports phrase illustrated in the grid.

Edit: Also, Clue 54-Down should be changed to "Boxer's implement (which has NOTHING to do with the meta).

:)
Brian, I think I have it but needed the spoiler to confirm what I had an inkling was going on.

I was already thinking in terms of your longer meta prompt above, so that part was perfectly fine for me - I actually liked the mini aha of connecting the mechanism to the title without any detail in the first meta prompt. The mechanism plus title are awesome. Canโ€™t say more without spoiling so will PM additional thoughts.

Iโ€™m impressed with the volume and variety of what youโ€™re putting out! Keep going!