Episode #290 Contest: Game Hunting

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #290 Contest: Game Hunting

Post by bcimmet »

Hello solvers! There's a new contest puzzle from Fill Me In. I'll rate this one 2.4 bananas on a scale of 5 bananas. (Bananas has nothing to do with the puzzle, it's just a 1-to-5 scale we made up.)

The puzzle is called "Game Hunting" and was constructed by me (Brian Cimmet). The solution to the puzzle is the name of a video game series.

The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found here (via Apple Podcasts), or just search for it wherever you enjoy podcasts.

Once you've solved the puzzle, submit your answer and this week's password by email to fmi@bemoresmarter.com. You can also contact us with any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas. Thanks for playing along!
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I got it!
I took me some time to figure out what was going on, but it was worth the effort.
Fun puzzle!
Hector

Post by Hector »

I was worried going in that this would turn on knowledge that I woefully lack, but not so. Thanks, Brian!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Grid was harder than the meta but very fun.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Nice one.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Got it. :)
-Tamara
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Got it, nice one!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I found the name of a video game series! Felt a bit of deja vu.

Now the tricky part - figuring out how to spell the password. Edit: wow, just like it sounds!
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

Banana peeled. Good one, thanks!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got to this one late. (It's tough keeping up.) Peeled the banana fairly quickly.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Has anyone got a link for the new contest? I’m just seeing this old one in the current podcast notes.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:45 pm Has anyone got a link for the new contest? I’m just seeing this old one in the current podcast notes.
He wasn't able to get a new contest out this week, so the deadline for the last one has been extended.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:14 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:45 pm Has anyone got a link for the new contest? I’m just seeing this old one in the current podcast notes.
He wasn't able to get a new contest out this week, so the deadline for the last one has been extended.
Busted! :) I (obviously) didn't listen to the podcast yet; just went straight to the notes looking for the contest.

Thanks!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:27 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:14 pm
Busted! :) I (obviously) didn't listen to the podcast yet; just went straight to the notes looking for the contest.

Thanks!
I didn't listen either, when I clicked the puzzle link and got the same puzzle. But when you asked, I...."skimmed" the podcast to make sure I hadn't missed a new one. ;-)
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I would love a nudge on this....I have what would appear to be a very logical set of data to pull the meta from, and a method (or 2) by which to pull it, but doing so only gives me a bunch of gobbledygook.

Thanks!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MikeM000 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:45 pm I would love a nudge on this....I have what would appear to be a very logical set of data to pull the meta from, and a method (or 2) by which to pull it, but doing so only gives me a bunch of gobbledygook.

Thanks!
I suspect you're over-thinking this and you've already got it. How well do you know video games? If not well, have you googled a good list?

Feel free to PM me what you have and what you're doing with it.

(Of course, maybe I'm under-thinking it and I've missed something.)
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:31 pm
MikeM000 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:45 pm I would love a nudge on this....I have what would appear to be a very logical set of data to pull the meta from, and a method (or 2) by which to pull it, but doing so only gives me a bunch of gobbledygook.

Thanks!
I suspect you're over-thinking this and you've already got it. How well do you know video games? If not well, have you googled a good list?

Feel free to PM me what you have and what you're doing with it.

(Of course, maybe I'm under-thinking it and I've missed something.)
Thanks! As is often the case, I took the pooch for her afternoon stroll and the wandering of the mind led me to think of a new way to organize that data set and I came up with the answer. :)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I never noticed that all the animal clues had numbers in them that were used to order the crossing letters! I knew the answer just from the crossings, probably because MGWCC once had something about that game. Then I saw that the crossing letters were ANIMAL. Thought it was cool to have them there and a shame they weren't in any order I could discern, but oh well.

Just heard the full explanation on the podcast. Good one @bcimmet !
Hector

Post by Hector »

Yes, the numbers are very subtly slid in there.