Episode #282 Contest: Living in Luxury

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #282 Contest: Living in Luxury

Post by bcimmet »

Hello, solvers! There's a new contest puzzle from Fill Me In – but this one is not a crossword. If you like other types of word games, give this one a try. It's still a contest, there's still a hidden answer, but this week, the game is a cryptogram.

The puzzle is called "Living in Luxury" and was constructed by me (Brian Cimmet). The solution to the puzzle is a two-word title.

The puzzle (as a PDF) can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about it – but if you want to eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found here (via Apple Podcasts), or just search for "Fill Me In" wherever you enjoy podcasts.

Once you've solved the puzzle, submit your answer and this week's password by email to fmi@bemoresmarter.com. You can also contact us with any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas. Thanks for playing along!
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I solved it.
I've never done a cryptogram before - it was enjoyable!
mokelfish

Post by mokelfish »

Thumbs up for non-crossword metas!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

This was cool...my brain needed something slightly different and this very much hit the spot. Nicely done!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

It was fun and different from the usual meta crosswords.
Meg

Post by Meg »

That was fun!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I'd forgotten how much I liked cryptograms, fun change. I have a few two -word titles that are apropos of the endeavour but I do not have the "click" I do with a META. I also noticed something about the various entries that is either a part of the mechanism or just an accepted practice.

Hopefully at some point the answer will be posted or someone will offer a way to the "click", but whether or not I get "the" answer I enjoyed these immensely.

As a homage:

U ZWAKHF EXSW PXK XKCUJW, PIE LBWN U KH UE UZ IZIXAAM FM HLN.
AyEhf 2021 (obviously my usual byline!)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:35 pm ...I have a few two -word titles that are apropos of the endeavour
My dear old mudda used to have a saying : "I've got two words for you and they aren't 'Happy Birthday'!" Yep, my perfectly imperfect mother.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:49 am
DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:35 pm ...I have a few two -word titles that are apropos of the endeavour
My dear old mudda used to have a saying : "I've got two words for you and they aren't 'Happy Birthday'!" Yep, my perfectly imperfect mother.
Were they "Bless You" maybe??
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:44 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:49 am
Were they "Bless You" maybe??
You're half right...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

So my first thought, when I saw that this was a cryptogram instead of a crossword, was "Is it time to give up on New Years resolutions yet?" My resolution this year was to broaden my horizons and do variety puzzles, not just crosswords. And I've been doing the WSJ Saturday puzzles. I've even managed the cryptics, and I give a lot of credit for that to the Fill Me In podcast with their explanations of how those things work.

But a cryptogram? Yuk. Do I have to? Whine! 🙎‍♀️😉

But I did it. Haven't done one of these in years, but once I got going and got in the groove, it wasn't so bad. Not my favorite type of puzzle or anything I'd seek out, but it was OK.

Once the cryptogram part was done, it took some googling to get the meta part, but I have split the banana!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I finally got around to solving this. I remembered building a very basic Excel spreadsheet to finish these during my lunch hour when I was still working.
It used a vlookup formula to speed up the guessing process. I was able to reproduce it which speeded the process along. Once the puzzled were solved Google soon led me to the answer.

Nice puzzle(s).
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Hector

Post by Hector »

I'll let Brian create the thread for it, but there's a new contest crossword at:

https://t.co/wbN5jSHavx?amp=1

The meta went quickly, but that could be mere luck.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Hector wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:23 pm I'll let Brian create the thread for it, but there's a new contest crossword at:

Thanks!
I got it too. Fun meta!
And it seems I won the previous contest.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Schmeel wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:24 am
Hector wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:23 pm I'll let Brian create the thread for it, but there's a new contest crossword at:

Thanks!
I got it too. Fun meta!
Congratulations!! What are you going to pick for your prize?
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:53 am
Schmeel wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:24 am

Thanks!
I got it too. Fun meta!
Congratulations!! What are you going to pick for your prize?
I think a few months' subscription to MGWCC. I've been meaning to try it out (in other words see if I could fit another meta into my otherwise busy schedule) and this seems like a good opportunity. We'll see what the rest of my family has to say - "What? Another one?!" - I can't seem to drag any of them into solving these...
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

(Hello to anyone visiting this thread -- there's a post for the Episode 286 contest, a new crossword called "King Con (400° for 20 minutes)." Give this one a go -- we're pretty pleased with it!)
--
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

There was a request for explanation of the solution to "Living in Luxury" in another thread, but I thought it best to post the solution here instead.

The answer to the overall puzzle was GRAND HOTEL, as mildly hinted by the title. More specifically, each of the five quotations were from artists associated with some kind of public release entitled "Grand Hotel" – a book, a movie, a musical, an album, and a television show. The parenthetical years given were the years each of those releases occurred.

In a few places, the wording of the quotes was slightly altered (without impacting the intent of the quote). With those minor tweaks, each quote was made up of exactly 24 letters. The ciphers used to create the cryptograms were keyword ciphers, using NOVEL, FILM, MUSICAL, ALBUM, and TVSHOW as the seed. I never expected anyone to see those keywords, but they did prove a creative way for me to generate five unique ciphers.

But it was the 24 letter set that was the actual key to the puzzle. The ciphers for the five cryptograms avoided two letters each – those letters being GR / AN / DH / OT / EL.

I've never written cryptogram puzzles before, though I've solved plenty of them. I like the idea behind this puzzle, and made the choice to slightly alter the quotations in order to satisfy the constraints of the puzzle concept. Maybe that's too unethical for a silly podcast contest puzzle, but I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for giving it a go!
--
Meg

Post by Meg »

bcimmet wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:26 pm There was a request for explanation of the solution to "Living in Luxury" in another thread, but I thought it best to post the solution here instead.

The answer to the overall puzzle was GRAND HOTEL, as mildly hinted by the title. More specifically, each of the five quotations were from artists associated with some kind of public release entitled "Grand Hotel" – a book, a movie, a musical, an album, and a television show. The parenthetical years given were the years each of those releases occurred.

In a few places, the wording of the quotes was slightly altered (without impacting the intent of the quote). With those minor tweaks, each quote was made up of exactly 24 letters. The ciphers used to create the cryptograms were keyword ciphers, using NOVEL, FILM, MUSICAL, ALBUM, and TVSHOW as the seed. I never expected anyone to see those keywords, but they did prove a creative way for me to generate five unique ciphers.

But it was the 24 letter set that was the actual key to the puzzle. The ciphers for the five cryptograms avoided two letters each – those letters being GR / AN / DH / OT / EL.

I've never written cryptogram puzzles before, though I've solved plenty of them. I like the idea behind this puzzle, and made the choice to slightly alter the quotations in order to satisfy the constraints of the puzzle concept. Maybe that's too unethical for a silly podcast contest puzzle, but I don't know.

Thanks Brian. I got the meta the easy way, and missed so many of your elegant layers. At least now I know why the quotes were altered.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

bcimmet wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:26 pm There was a request for explanation of the solution to "Living in Luxury" in another thread, but I thought it best to post the solution here instead.

Wow... I'm embarrassed to have completely missed that level of elegance. Glad you posted it here.