Episode #277 Contest: "Capital Idea"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #277 Contest: "Capital Idea"

Post by bcimmet »

Hello, solvers! There's a new contest crossword on Fill Me In. I'll rate this one 3.7 bananas on a scale of 5 bananas. (Bananas has nothing to do with the puzzle, it's just a 1-to-5 scale we made up.)

The puzzle is called "Capital Idea," and has been guest constructed by Brian Gubin. The solution to the puzzle is a world capital.

The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found here (via Apple Podcasts), or just search for it wherever you enjoy podcasts.

Once you've solved the puzzle, submit your answer and this week's password by email to fmi@bemoresmarter.com. You can also contact us with any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas. Thanks for playing along!
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Banana's peeled!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Peeled...
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Can anyone provide the puzzle in pdf format?
Meg

Post by Meg »

oldjudge wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:56 pm Can anyone provide the puzzle in pdf format?
I’ll email it to you
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Peeled!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

solved
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Solved. Looking forward to the podcast.
As a separate issue—can anyone provide a tutorial on how to open PUZ files? I have tried the suggested links on my iPhone and iPad with no success. Thanks!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

oldjudge wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:47 pm Solved. Looking forward to the podcast.
As a separate issue—can anyone provide a tutorial on how to open PUZ files? I have tried the suggested links on my iPhone and iPad with no success. Thanks!
A few ios releases back, this got ridiculously convoluted.

First, from the app store, download an app that uses .puz files (I use puzzazz, which is free, but others should work much the same).

Then touch on the link to the .puz file from Brian's post above.

This should go to dropbox and ask "Do you want to download fmi277con.puz". Touch "Download".
IMG_3552.PNG
At the top right of the window, there should be a down arrow in a circle that bounces for a second then is steady. Touch that.
IMG_3553.PNG
You should get a list of downloads with fmi277con at the top of the list. Touch it.
IMG_3554.PNG
Now the file name is in the center of the screen. At the top right, there's a square with an up arrow. Touch that.
IMG_3555.PNG
You'll see a couple rows of app icons. Scroll right to find your puzzle app (labelled "Copy to puzzazz") Touch it.
IMG_3556.PNG
The app should open with a popup from puzazz saying, "The puzzle 'Capital Idea' has been downloaded..." "Open Later" or "Open Now". Touch "Open Now" and start solving the puzzle.
IMG_3558.PNG

If space or bandwidth are limited on your phone, you should check your settings to see if the initial downloaded copy goes to your phone or your iCloud account, and periodically go to the phone Files app and delete all the old downloads.
Last edited by BarbaraK on Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:26 pm
oldjudge wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:47 pm Solved. Looking forward to the podcast.
A few ios releases back, this got ridiculously convoluted.

First, from the app store, download an app that uses .puz files (I use puzzazz, which is free, but others should work much the same).

Then touch on the link to the .puz file from Brian's post above.

This should go to dropbox and ask "Do you want to download fmi277con.puz". Touch "Download".

At the top right of the window, there should be a down arrow in a circle that bounces for a second then is steady. Touch that.

You should get a list of downloads with fmi277con at the top of the list. Touch it.

Now the file name is in the center of the screen. At the top right, there's a square with an up arrow. Touch that.

You'll see a couple rows of app icons. Scroll right to find your puzzle app (labelled "Copy to puzzazz") Touch it.

The app should open with a popup from puzazz saying, "The puzzle 'Capital Idea' has been downloaded..." "Open Later" or "Open Now". Touch Open Now an start solving the puzzle.

If this is not clear, I can take some screenshots.

If space or bandwidth are limited on your phone, you should check your settings to see if the initial downloaded copy goes to your phone or your iCloud account, and periodically go to the phone Files app and delete all the old downloads.
Sure this isn't instructions for solving a cryptic meta?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

boharr wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:39 pm
Sure this isn't instructions for solving a cryptic meta?
Mostly I really like Apple and my iPhone. But every now and then, just have to wonder, what on earth were they thinking??
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Thank you so much--I'll try that.
Update-that app works great. On my iPad it opens the puzzle almost immediately. The only downside is that, even though there is an icon for it, it does not allow me to print the puzzle. However, for some reason now Acrosslite has the puzzle in a printable form. Not sure why, but I’m a happy guy. Thanks Meg and Barbara for all your wisdom!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Peeled!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Peeled with assistance. Once again I was in the right bowl early but failed to concentrate on the right fruit. In all honesty I had quite the mix of fruit in the bowl.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Thank you all for playing along with the contest puzzle from Episode #277. The correct answer was LIMA.

There were four long answers – GUCCI MANE, JEWISH DELI, MODERN LOVE, and JERRY RIGS. The second word of each of those entries is one letter off from a world capital (MANE/MALE, DELI/DILI, LOVE/LOME, and RIGS/RIGA). The new letters are L-I-M-A.

Check out the new puzzle (and new post) for Episode #280.
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram