Episode #275 Contest: "Century Cycle"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #275 Contest: "Century Cycle"

Post by bcimmet »

Hello, solvers! There's a new contest crossword on Fill Me In. I'll rate this one 1.1 bananas on a scale of 5 bananas. (Bananas has nothing to do with the puzzle, it's just a 1-to-5 scale we made up.)

The puzzle is called "Century Cycle." The solution to the puzzle is the title of a movie.

The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found here (via Apple Podcasts), or just search for it wherever you enjoy podcasts.

Once you've solved the puzzle, submit your answer and this week's password by email to fmi@bemoresmarter.com. You can also contact us with any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas. Thanks for playing along!
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
spotter

Post by spotter »

This isn't feeling like 1.1 bananas to me... I've been on a bit of a cold streak though.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

The banana has been split. (Wait, what’s the lingo here? Anyway, I got it.)

Very nice!
boharr

Post by boharr »

The banana is peeled and split!
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

spotter wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:11 pm This isn't feeling like 1.1 bananas to me... I've been on a bit of a cold streak though.
The contest is looking for a movie title. Of course, if you haven't heard of the movie, you're going to need to peel a little more to get the banana. (But even if you haven't heard of the movie, we are confident that there is enough information available to crack the puzzle.)
--
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
Meg

Post by Meg »

I have it. Can’t say much more.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I actually hadn't heard of this movie (or its background), so I learned some stuff today!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Peeled. Day-O!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I had a couple ideas from the title and theme entries, but neither really works. And seeing that some people haven't heard of the movie pretty much rules them out and means I need to quit trying to force my theory to fit and look for what's actually there - whether it's something I've heard of or not.

I don't understand 12D, but it seems like something I really don't want to google.
Meg

Post by Meg »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:44 pm I had a couple ideas from the title and theme entries, but neither really works. And seeing that some people haven't heard of the movie pretty much rules them out and means I need to quit trying to force my theory to fit and look for what's actually there - whether it's something I've heard of or not.

I don't understand 12D, but it seems like something I really don't want to google.
I had never heard of 12d, and needed a male person to explain it to me. It’s kinda weird, imo.
Edit: apparently it’s not just a guy thing. My 28-year-old daughter gave me more fascinating details.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Nice puzzle, more like a 2.3 for me. Although the movie is not a household name, I would think most everyone has heard of it.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Finally peeled the banana, after a kind friend both explained 12D and pushed me to really stop obsessing about what I want it to be and just google what's given. I'd never heard of the movie, but I can see that it would be a 1.1 banana for those who have.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

The banana is peeled, but it took some time to find the banana that need peeling - I never heard of the movie. But I was forewarned!
bcimmet wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:50 pm The contest is looking for a movie title. Of course, if you haven't heard of the movie, you're going to need to peel a little more to get the banana. (But even if you haven't heard of the movie, we are confident that there is enough information available to crack the puzzle.)
Enjoyable puzzle.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

PEEleD
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

Peeled that banana just in time or possibly too late. Also wasn't familiar with the answer.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Can someone give me a hint? I won't submit because I've already won one of these contests (speaking of which - have any past winners ever received their "prize"? I never did), but I'd like to see if I can figure it out with a nudge.

Update: got it. Thanks, BarbaraK and boharr!
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

damefox wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:01 am have any past winners ever received their "prize"? I never did
Hi damefox - prize winners DO get prizes. I'm looking back and have absolutely no good reason why you never got yours. I will take care of that today. My sincerest apologies, and I hope you have a happy new year!
--
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

damefox wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:01 am Can someone give me a hint? I won't submit because I've already won one of these contests (speaking of which - have any past winners ever received their "prize"? I never did), but I'd like to see if I can figure it out with a nudge.

Update: got it. Thanks, BarbaraK and boharr!
I just saw on the MMM board that we get one of your metas tomorrow! Oooh, I can't wait! That will be fun!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Congratulations to this week’s winner, our own Al Sisti!!! Nicely done Al.