Episode #273 Contest: "Empire Records"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
BarbaraK

Episode #273 Contest: "Empire Records"

Post by BarbaraK »

The new FMI crossword contest is at https://bit.ly/fmi273con

"The solution to this puzzle is a song title"

I haven't figured it out yet. The first step seems obvious, and I have an idea for the second step but so far that one just branches out into lots of empty rabbit holes.
Jaclyn

Post by Jaclyn »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:55 pm The new FMI crossword contest is at https://bit.ly/fmi273con

"The solution to this puzzle is a song title"

I haven't figured it out yet. The first step seems obvious, and I have an idea for the second step but so far that one just branches out into lots of empty rabbit holes.
Same. Would welcome any nudges.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

From the FMI Twitter feed:
“Well, we've set a record for fewest contest entries in the first four days of a podcast release. Oops.”

Sounds like it’s a toughie.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I have a 95% guess that I'd submit if I listened to the podcast (sorry). Happy to share my thinking!

Laura
Meg

Post by Meg »

I have the password. Feel free to pm me.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LesY

Post by LesY »

I came up with something last week, but have been busy and forgot to submit. Given Brian's statement on the podcast that this one didn't really pass the standard of review I feel more comfortable with the answer. Will give it a try.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Meg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:26 pm I have the password. Feel free to pm me.
I don't think it's fair to submit if I don't actually listen to the podcast, I'm just doing these for fun. But thanks!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Laura M wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:38 pm
Meg wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:26 pm I have the password. Feel free to pm me.
I don't think it's fair to submit if I don't actually listen to the podcast, I'm just doing these for fun. But thanks!
Yeah, I had some misgivings about posting that. No worries!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

On today's podcast, they said only got one correct response so far. As a hint, they gave the decade the song is from:

The song is from the 1970s
LesY

Post by LesY »

I emailed my answer about an hour ago, and the email bounced back. Confirmed it's the same email address on the website and the same one I've used for previous submissions.

Based on the spoiler I think I'm right.

Edit: It looks like the email went through the second time. Strangeness with Gmail this week for sure.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

After PM-ing with another here, I think I have it. We'll see.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Ditto
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Is this one still active? I couldn't find a deadline, and/or didn't know if they've extended it because of the difficulty...
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

This contest has ended ... and it was not our best. We are very sorry.

The four themers each had state abbreviations hiding in them - Massachusetts, Indiana, Nebraska, Delaware. The initial letters spelled MIND. Since we were asking for a song, we hoped that you would make the leap to "state of mind" and thus the Billy Joel song "New York State of Mind."

We have a new contest in the current episode of Fill Me In, and I'll make a new post on this board for it. We promise it's better than the last one. :)
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

bcimmet wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:58 am The four themers each had state abbreviations hiding in them - Massachusetts, Indiana, Nebraska, Delaware. The initial letters spelled MIND. Since we were asking for a song, we hoped that you would make the leap to "state of mind" and thus the Billy Joel song "New York State of Mind."
Oh wow, I was way off! But I like that answer better than the one I came up with: "New York, New York" (which amazingly was also recorded in the 70s--I would have guessed way earlier).

(Apologies to ChrisKochmanski for the misdirection! I really have no business trying to give nudges...)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Laura M wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:05 pm
bcimmet wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:58 am The four themers each had state abbreviations hiding in them - Massachusetts, Indiana, Nebraska, Delaware. The initial letters spelled MIND. Since we were asking for a song, we hoped that you would make the leap to "state of mind" and thus the Billy Joel song "New York State of Mind."
Oh wow, I was way off! But I like that answer better than the one I came up with: "New York, New York" (which amazingly was also recorded in the 70s--I would have guessed way earlier).

(Apologies to ChrisKochmanski for the misdirection! I really have no business trying to give nudges...)
I also sent in "New York, New York," because each of the states in the themed entries also repeated, and yes, was from the 70s.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Me too
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

"New York, New York" is a good answer ... and maybe equally valid, considering that we aren't all that satisfied with the puzzle as it ran. Let's just pretend contest #273 never happened, okay? :)
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram