Episode #262 Contest: "This Time, It's Personal"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
mokelfish

Episode #262 Contest: "This Time, It's Personal"

Post by mokelfish »

Cryptogram meta by Scott Weiss. I loved it! 99% sure I got the answer.
http://bit.ly/fmi262con

This is very meta-meta, so people are who not fans of the show may be at a bit of a disadvantage.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Fun one...
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

That cryptogram was diabolical! Not sure I'd do another one like that, but I enjoyed the meta when I got there!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Tough nut to crack, but I got it eventually.
(edit) Apparently I have not found all the steps.
(Edit). NOW I’ve solved it!
Last edited by Meg on Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

pretty sure I solved it
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

well I guess I missed the last step - oh well 4 pm Thursday is close!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Once upon a time I enjoyed cryptograms, but I haven't done one in ages. In the modern world, it feels to me like a job for a computer. Doing one by hand seems as pointless as adding up a list of numbers or doing long division. I guessed that people have even made websites to do this, and google told me I was right. I used one of them to solve the first step, so I won't be submitting the answer.

I really hope they go back to meta crosswords.
mokelfish

Post by mokelfish »

I agree that cryptograms (as well as acrostics and codewords) are much more fun to do on the computer when you can have each equivalent letter filled in without having to do all the back and forth bookkeeping.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Eesh, this was really frustrating. I would never have gotten it without mokelfish's small spoiler at the beginning, and even then it took me a while. And I like cryptograms! I'm not going to bother to submit because I'm not even sure I get it? I have the answer, I just don't get it. Seconding the plea for them to go back to crosswords.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

damefox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:58 pm Eesh, this was really frustrating. I would never have gotten it without mokelfish's small spoiler at the beginning, and even then it took me a while. And I like cryptograms! I'm not going to bother to submit because I'm not even sure I get it? I have the answer, I just don't get it. Seconding the plea for them to go back to crosswords.
It's definitely an insider thing for regular podcast listeners. I understand it (at least I think I do:) so if anyone wants to chat by PM/email, let me know.
damefox

Post by damefox »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:56 pm
damefox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:58 pm Eesh, this was really frustrating. I would never have gotten it without mokelfish's small spoiler at the beginning, and even then it took me a while. And I like cryptograms! I'm not going to bother to submit because I'm not even sure I get it? I have the answer, I just don't get it. Seconding the plea for them to go back to crosswords.
It's definitely an insider thing for regular podcast listeners. I understand it (at least I think I do:) so if anyone wants to chat by PM/email, let me know.
I listen to the podcast - the references were not lost on me. I guess what I don't get is the "what's the point?" part. The "aha" moment is more like a "uhh, I guess?" moment. Also Cindy pointed out to me that there's a typo in one of the phrases, and holy smokes as if cryptograms without typos weren't hard enough.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

damefox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:20 pm I listen to the podcast
Emma, I loved hearing your viewer mail this week!

I must admit I was a bit surprised that someone could not like Annie Get Your Gun; it's got that great bass clarinet part in 'My Defenses Are Down". I mean okay, sure, there's the whole plot thing. But that bass clarinet part! How can you not love it for that alone?! (Who me? Skewed perspective? :)
damefox

Post by damefox »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:32 am
damefox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:20 pm I listen to the podcast
Emma, I loved hearing your viewer mail this week!

I must admit I was a bit surprised that someone could not like Annie Get Your Gun; it's got that great bass clarinet part in 'My Defenses Are Down". I mean okay, sure, there's the whole plot thing. But that bass clarinet part! How can you not love it for that alone?! (Who me? Skewed perspective? :)
Lol, I haven't listened to it yet! I was wondering if they would read that. Let me just say I LOVE "Annie Get Your Gun," as I love many things that are potentially damaging to the young female psyche. (The world of media that is not damaging to the young female psyche is quite small...) As a small child being introduced to these very inappropriate musicals by my Broadway-loving mother and grandmother (I saw "1776" when I was 4, "Annie Get Your Gun" probably not that much later - I saw that on stage with Bernadette Peters as the lead role!), the level of bad messaging (and, in the case of "1776," some not-that-subtle innuendo... and come to think of it there's a lot of that in "Annie Get Your Gun" too) did not register with me. It's only looking back that I find myself thinking "wait a second..."
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Stuck on WSJ so I circled back to this and finally cracked it. Once you give up on a correct start it’s really hard to figure out.