Episode #260 Contest: "Symbol of Togetherness"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
damefox

Episode #260 Contest: "Symbol of Togetherness"

Post by damefox »

This is not a meta crossword but a different kind of word puzzle, written by Foggy Brume. I thought it still deserved it's own thread. The answer to this puzzle is a two-word phrase.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

damefox wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:45 pm This is not a meta crossword but a different kind of word puzzle, written by Foggy Brume. I thought it still deserved it's own thread. The answer to this puzzle is a two-word phrase.
is there a lnk?
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Cindy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:58 pm
damefox wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:45 pm This is not a meta crossword but a different kind of word puzzle, written by Foggy Brume. I thought it still deserved it's own thread. The answer to this puzzle is a two-word phrase.
is there a lnk?
Here’s the link. It comes with their weekly podcast. To enter their “contest”, you’re supposed to listen to their podcast for the password. Send in the password and the answer to their email address: fmi@bemoresmarter.com.

http://bit.ly/fmi260con
boharr

Post by boharr »

Richard B. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:09 pm

Here’s the link. It comes with their weekly podcast. To enter their “contest”, you’re supposed to listen to their podcast for the password. Send in the password and the answer to their email address: fmi@bemoresmarter.com.

Is supposed to download something?

EDIT: Figured it out. Sort of. Is there a grid or something?
Last edited by boharr on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

boharr wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:22 pm

The link gets you to a one page PDF, doesn’t it? It’s not a crossword but another form of a meta puzzle. You can get to all this through their weekly podcast, “Fill Me In”.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Richard B. wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:29 pm
boharr wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:22 pm

The link gets you to a one page PDF, doesn’t it? It’s not a crossword but another form of a meta puzzle. You can get to all this through their weekly podcast, “Fill Me In”.
Thanks. Sorry. I was confused about the one page PDF.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Cindy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:58 pm
is there a lnk?

Thanks. No time for the podcast here. But I do enjoy their puzzles.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Got it. Tough one! And no, there is no grid, just the single page. It is very meta-like.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m pretty sure I have it. Actually, this was fun and involved more thinking than I originally realized.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

That was tough.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Excellent puzzle! I learned a few new things from the google.

It makes me want to check out his puzzle magazine, if I could somehow find the time.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cindy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:36 pmThat was tough.
Yes, indeedy. Whew.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Had to sleep on it (once again). Satisfying in the end though.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

When I saw that this was not a crossword, I figured I'd be skipping this week since I don't generally do other types of word games.

But I took a look and made some notes, and I've figured out what's going on. Still missing some pieces, but I have enough that I'd think I could guess and backsolve the rest. But I can't, which probably means that either some of my pieces are wrong or there's another step after this. I'll take another look later.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I was introduced to this earlier today and I think I have the answer. It’s like a meta without having to do the grid—I love it!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Very satisfying puzzle and solve.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I was not going to listen to the podcast, but I had some extra time and I did, and I’m so glad. These guys are extremely entertaining and it was an hour well spent. Good job Ryan and Brian!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Figured out the pieces I was missing and fixed my mistake, and got ... clearly something, but not a two word phrase. It did show me where to go next, and then I did find a two word phrase. Don’t entirely understand it, but that may just be a gap in my knowledge. Fits well enough, I guess it must be right.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

That was challenging and clever and fun.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I came to this one late. With quite a bit of googling, I got it. Great fun, but no way could I have solved it without the googling. To any who could solve it without googling, I salute you.

Googling or not, a terrific puzzle. How do you constructors keep coming up with these things? (I'm thankful you do!)