Episode #260 Contest: "Symbol of Togetherness"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:25 pm I came to this one late. With quite a bit of googling, I got it. Great fun, but no way could I have solved it without the googling. To any who could solve it without googling, I salute you.

Googling or not, a terrific puzzle. How do you constructors keep coming up with these things? (I'm thankful you do!)
Terrific puzzle, and absolutely no way I would've gotten it without Mr. G. as a solving partner.
mokelfish

Post by mokelfish »

This is satisfying to work on, but I'm not entirely sure I've got the right meta answer, as I still have 1-2 answers I'm not sure of, and the answer I have seems a little arbitrary. I might be missing a step. Could use a hint or nudge if anyone wants to provide one.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I think I'm past the deadline anyway and I wasn't sure I was going try this one, but I'm glad I did! It was a lot of fun! I don't think I made any wrong turns, but the two-word phrase I ended up with, while it seems to fit in many ways is... not exactly a commonly used phrase, I think? Possibly there's a last step that eluded me. Anyway, great puzzle!
Hector

Post by Hector »

This one should be 100%. And there certainly is a distinctive "last step."

Happy to nudge folks if you tell me what you've got so far.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Laura M wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 pm I think I'm past the deadline anyway and I wasn't sure I was going try this one, but I'm glad I did! It was a lot of fun! I don't think I made any wrong turns, but the two-word phrase I ended up with, while it seems to fit in many ways is... not exactly a commonly used phrase, I think? Possibly there's a last step that eluded me. Anyway, great puzzle!
I don’t specifically remember, but these contests normally run two weeks, so you’ve still got time.

(Edited to remove incorrect info. See below.)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

From the new podcast, the deadline will be noon ET this coming Saturday, Sept 19.

That evening, Brian and Ryan will solve it on their stream. They actually know the answer already since people have been emailing it but they haven’t looked at the puzzle yet so they don’t know where it comes from. (And I don’t think knowing the answer is actually much help in solving this one.)
mokelfish

Post by mokelfish »

FINALLY solved this one, with help from 2 other muggles. I was making it more complicated than it is, due to a couple of wrong answers/right answer in the wrong place. The theme is definitely in line with previous Foggy metas I've done/seen done.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Yup, that was me - the winner of the contest! I think my “password” caught Ryan and Brian’s fancy. Very exciting here in our household.
All suggestions as to what to claim as a prize are welcome.
Richard
Meg

Post by Meg »

Richard B. wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:37 am Yup, that was me - the winner of the contest! I think my “password” caught Ryan and Brian’s fancy. Very exciting here in our household.
Richard
Congratulations!!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Richard B. wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:37 am Yup, that was me - the winner of the contest! I think my “password” caught Ryan and Brian’s fancy. Very exciting here in our household.
Richard
Congrats!! So many great choices. I chose Aries Puzzles, but other options include Inkubator (which I already subscribed to), American Values Crosswords, Joon's rows gardens, Fireball, ....

No doubt others will have additional suggestions.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Richard
Yay! Congratulations!

I was wondering how they pick the winner. Is it just random, or is it the one they find most interesting for whatever reason. Last time they read my entire comment too.
mokelfish

Post by mokelfish »

Congrats! I also vote for Joon's Outside the box, great mix of variety puzzles and/or Rows Gardens.