Episode #250 Contest: "Slippery When Wet"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #250 Contest: "Slippery When Wet"

Post by bcimmet »

Hello, solvers! There's a new contest crossword on Fill Me In. I'll rate this one 0.8 bananas on a scale of 5 bananas. (Bananas has nothing to do with the puzzle, it's just a 1-to-5 scale we made up.)

The puzzle is called "Slippery When Wet." The solution to the puzzle is a four-letter word.

The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found here (via Apple Podcasts), or just search for it wherever you enjoy podcasts.

Thanks for joining us on this adventure of contest crosswords. Feel free to contact me at brian@bemoresmarter.com if you have any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas.
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
Hector

Post by Hector »

Thanks, Brian; a very nice puzzle, pleasantly week-1-ish, as we say here.
Meg

Post by Meg »

As Meta mechanisms go, I’d say a week 0.5. But fun!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Meg wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:50 pm As Meta mechanisms go, I’d say a week 0.5. But fun!
Ditto. At first glance, I was overthinking this one. Then, there it was. Thanks, Brian. Nice clean clues and grid.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Easy but fun.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it. Took much longer than it should've. As with the WSJ, it was coming here and seeing people say "it's so easy!" that made me see it.

Can someone explain 65A? This seems to be a Fill Me In in-joke going back to at least 2010 that I'm not cool enough to be in on yet.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Thanks for posting that it was a .8 banana puzzle. At first I wasn't sure if I needed to go beyond the first answer I found.

Figuring out how to spell the password was harder than solving the meta:)
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

The answer to "Slippery When Wet" was RAIN.

In five columns, there were circled letters spelling out the second half of RAIN phrases – DATE, FOREST, CLOUD, STICK, DANCE.

Please join us for the new contest from Episode 252! https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/f ... 1364379980
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram