Episode #244 Contest: "Sideshow"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I’m a bit surprised at some of the resistance I’m seeing here to cryptics. With a cryptic, I always know that I can slog through it, even if it’s a complicated variety cryptic, and even if it includes some uncommon words (like the typical Richard E. Maltby, Jr. variety cryptic in Harper’s) — whereas, with a tough meta, I often just don’t get it or see it. And then I need nudges. Can’t just slog through. But then, that’s me. It probably helps that I’ve been doing cryptics of all kinds and levels since the mid ‘80s.

I recommend being open to cryptics — though you may find they’re just not your thing.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

This was a good puzzle, although I had to use Bing to get the movie, which I wasn't very familiar with. But like a good meta, you know you've got it when you get it. I'm also on board with not really getting 7D.

I've gotten into cryptics relatively recently, and I may like them more than regular American-style crosswords these days. I highly recommend giving them a chance to anyone who is intimidated. It has a bit of a learning curve but it's really fun when it offers an aha moment with every clue. Watch Ryan and Brian's solving Twitch streams for a good intro.