Episode #234 Contest: "Splitting Wood"

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #234 Contest: "Splitting Wood"

Post by bcimmet »

Hello, solvers! The latest episode of my podcast, Fill Me In, features another contest crossword. I think this one is a little tricky, so I'll rate it 3.2 bananas on a scale of 5 bananas. (Bananas has nothing to do with the puzzle, it's just a 1-to-5 scale we made up.)

The puzzle is called "Splitting Wood." The solution to the puzzle is a 5-letter tree.

The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found here (via Apple Podcasts), or just search for it wherever you enjoy podcasts.

Thanks for joining us on this relatively new adventure of contest crosswords. Feel free to contact me at brian@bemoresmarter.com if you have any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas.
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I'm loving having another meta. You realize you can't stop doing these now, right?

This one actually came to me much faster than the previous ones. (Well, the first two never came to me at all...)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Fortunately, I saw this one early on. Not too hard....once you get the idea.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Got it! Cute! I'd say maybe 2.5 bananas in difficulty.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Got it. No time for a podcast.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it! Maybe 2 bananas. Somehow easier for me than the last two.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Fun one...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

So glad you're continuing these.

Fun puzzle! And nice music running through my head thanks to 11D.

Procrastinators note that the deadline to submit is Sunday, March 22 at noon ET.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Might need to re-evaluate the bananas. I found this one fairly easy. I’ll listen to the podcast tomorrow.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Fun solve! Thankful for another meta (and podcast!) in these disrupted times.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Lots of fun! I like puzzles. And now I be more smarter! Smarterer...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Looks like I need some kind of app to do this puzzle. What app? Where do I get it?

Thanks!!
Hector

Post by Hector »

.puz files are in Across Lite format. Mac and PC apps can be downloaded here.
ChrisKochmanski

Hector wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:42 pm .puz files are in Across Lite format. Mac and PC apps can be downloaded here.
Got it! Thanks greatly!
ChrisKochmanski

Fun puzzle!

Now that I have Across Lite (thanks, Hector!), I may go back to previous Brian Cimmet puzzles. Indeed, it's good to have another source of metas, especially in these socially isolated times.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

damefox wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:48 pm Got it! Maybe 2 bananas. Somehow easier for me than the last two.
Have you listened to this week's podcast yet? Your letter is in viewer mail, and they'd like to know where to find your puzzles so they can share the link! Cool!!
damefox

Post by damefox »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:35 pm Have you listened to this week's podcast yet? Your letter is in viewer mail, and they'd like to know where to find your puzzles so they can share the link! Cool!!
I did! I emailed them a response. :)

Were Ryan and I the only people who wrote CLOWN instead of PANDA in that puzzle? It really looked like a (very scary) clown to me at first glance.
LesY

Post by LesY »

damefox wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:35 pm Have you listened to this week's podcast yet? Your letter is in viewer mail, and they'd like to know where to find your puzzles so they can share the link! Cool!!
I did! I emailed them a response. :)

Were Ryan and I the only people who wrote CLOWN instead of PANDA in that puzzle? It really looked like a (very scary) clown to me at first glance.
Can someone share the CLOWN/PANDA puzzle? Maybe it's behind a paywall.

Damefox, I look forward to solving some of your puzzles!
damefox

Post by damefox »

LesY wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:03 pm Can someone share the CLOWN/PANDA puzzle? Maybe it's behind a paywall.
If you want to see the filled-in grid, it was reviewed (not particularly favorably) at Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/2020/03/12/f ... 3-2020/#ny. The puzzle itself is behind the NYT paywall. Perhaps someone more adept at this than I am can figure out how to share a screenshot of the PDF or the puz file or something on here? Although truly you are not missing much by not solving it...
LesY

Post by LesY »

damefox wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:39 pm
LesY wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:03 pm Can someone share the CLOWN/PANDA puzzle? Maybe it's behind a paywall.
If you want to see the filled-in grid, it was reviewed (not particularly favorably) at Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/2020/03/12/f ... 3-2020/#ny. The puzzle itself is behind the NYT paywall. Perhaps someone more adept at this than I am can figure out how to share a screenshot of the PDF or the puz file or something on here? Although truly you are not missing much by not solving it...

Amy’s review made me laugh out loud more than once! You’re right - no need for anyone to send me that puzzle.