Episode #306 Contest: A Sporting Chance

Meta crosswords from Lollapuzzoola creator and host Brian Cimmet, offered from time to time through the Fill Me In podcast, which is hosted by Mr. Cimmet and Ryan Hecht. More information available here: https://bemoresmarter.com/
bcimmet

Episode #306 Contest: A Sporting Chance

Post by bcimmet »

Hello solvers! There's a new contest puzzle from Fill Me In. I'll rate this one 1.3 bananas on a scale of 5 bananas. (Bananas has nothing to do with the puzzle, it's just a 1-to-5 scale we made up.)

The puzzle is called "A Sporting Chance" and was constructed by me (Brian Cimmet). The solution to the puzzle is the name of a sport.

The crossword can be downloaded from here. You're welcome to solve, you're even welcome to join in the chatter about the puzzle -- but if you want to be eligible for a prize, you have to listen to the podcast for this week's password. The podcast can be found on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, our own website, or wherever you collect your podcasts.

Once you've solved the puzzle, submit your answer and this week's password by email to fmi@bemoresmarter.com. You can also contact us with any suggestions, questions, comments, or ideas. Thanks for playing along!
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Meg

Post by Meg »

I have the answer. Unless there’s a PAGEANT in there somewhere!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
Hector

Post by Hector »

One banana tops, if you have any acquaintance at all with the sport. Thanks, Brian!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Easy, but still fun. I always enjoy Brian’s clueing.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Solved... I hope. Could it be that easy?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I'm pretty sure I got it too.
fncll

Post by fncll »

I've just started getting into crosswords and am baffled by this meta thing. I solved the puzzle itself readily, but how do metas work. Does the meta word always literally appear in the puzzle in some way?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

fncll wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:14 pm I've just started getting into crosswords and am baffled by this meta thing. I solved the puzzle itself readily, but how do metas work. Does the meta word always literally appear in the puzzle in some way?
Welcome to the wonderful world of metas!

The WSJ has some great resources to get you started. Read https://online.wsj.com/public/resources ... tguide.pdf for a general idea of how these work.

Then check out https://www.wsj.com/articles/contest-cr ... 1625757841 which will walk you through four examples.

After that, you’ll be all set for this Fill Me In meta, and if you have specific questions about it ( which we never discuss publicly until after the deadline) feel free to send me a PM.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Catching up, after traveling.

Easy, but fun.
bcimmet

Post by bcimmet »

Hello solvers,

The solution to this contest was GOLF.

The long across entries had nothing to do with the sport themselves, but each included a term relating to golf:
  • CLUB SANDWICH
  • DRAYMOND GREEN
  • DRIVE IN THEATER
  • ROUGH AND TUMBLE
  • AMERICAN EAGLE
  • ARCHIE BUNKER
There's a new contest puzzle, and a new post in this forum for it. I hope you give it a try!
--
Fill Me In, a crossword podcast
Apple Podcasts • RSS Feed • fmi@bemoresmarter.com • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram