Candy Canes (WSJ, 12/25/20, Patrick Berry)

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
ChrisKochmanski

Candy Canes (WSJ, 12/25/20, Patrick Berry)

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I used to approach a Candy Canes puzzle with a bit of dread -- maybe because they have a spatial aspect, and that's definitely not my spatialty (groan). But this time, once I got a good toehold, the solving proceeded apace. A nice one to relax with, post-Christmas celebrating.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

I had a little difficulty getting a toehold, but finally found one and was able to complete the puzzle with little resistance. Good fun on Christmas!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:22 pm I used to approach a Candy Canes puzzle with a bit of dread -- maybe because they have a spatial aspect, and that's definitely not my spatialty (groan). But this time, once I got a good toehold, the solving proceeded apace. A nice one to relax with, post-Christmas celebrating.
You know I never tried the Candy Canes because I understand it is easy to get suckered in and then you are hooked, besides I'm afraid I'd stripe out,,,,,triple groan.

Don't blame me, someone alerted me to an unanswered pun and, well, I had to mint a response,
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Candy Canes at Christmas. Well done, PB. Are these actually just once a year? I guess so.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I enjoyed this one, not as hard as those cryptics.
Janet

Post by Janet »

DrTom wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:49 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:22 pm I used to approach a Candy Canes puzzle with a bit of dread -- maybe because they have a spatial aspect, and that's definitely not my spatialty (groan). But this time, once I got a good toehold, the solving proceeded apace. A nice one to relax with, post-Christmas celebrating.
You know I never tried the Candy Canes because I understand it is easy to get suckered in and then you are hooked, besides I'm afraid I'd stripe out,,,,,triple groan.

Don't blame me, someone alerted me to an unanswered pun and, well, I had to mint a response,
Sweet comment! At least you're being "candi"ed about your pun addiction. Better than being out there raising Cane.
Meg

Post by Meg »

That was fun! Once you get started, it’s not that hard.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Love Patrick Berry puzzles. Fun to do something different.
Heidi
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

this one was pretty sweet, once I got started on the twists and turns.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Richard B. wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:27 am Candy Canes at Christmas. Well done, PB. Are these actually just once a year? I guess so.
By my recollection, "Candy Canes" seems to have been the format for the closest Saturday to Christmas for the last several years. I always enjoy these.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

I guessed wrong on my first two candy canes but things fell into place quickly after that. Like that one.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I needed google to help with a clue or two.
Once I had enough possible entries solved, the crosses helped to fill the grid (and helped to solve the rest of the clues I didn't know offhand).
Fun puzzle!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Just like Lisa, I enjoy the Candy Canes puzzle every Christmas. I start out working in pencil and then move to pen once I get the first few canes unwrapped.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

only ink, that's how I roll.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Capturecandycane.JPG
He put up a fight, but actually I won in the end!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Dannyvee wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:42 pm I guessed wrong on my first two candy canes but things fell into place quickly after that. Like that one.
Yes, I think what made this one relatively easy for me was that I actually guessed RIGHT a couple of times -- then it flowed.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Daughter and I did this one when she was in town. Together, we are a tolerable team. Alone, either of us would be at it awhile. Always enjoy giving the Variety puzzle a go.