WSJ Variety by Patrick Berry - Fright Club

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
Richard B.

WSJ Variety by Patrick Berry - Fright Club

Post by Richard B. »

Per usual, plenty of time thinking, penciling in, erasing before a toehold appears. Well done, PB!
Last edited by Richard B. on Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Still waiting for a toehold.
Never mind. Nice Patrick, as usual.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Loved this puzzle! Very intimidating at first and started to lose hope of solving without aid, but finally a couple of things came together and it filled quickly after. Laughed at the 13D final answer, great Halloween idea.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Loved it!

I picked it up after starting this weekend's MGWCC, "Rise and Fall", and getting quickly dumbfounded. "Fright Club" took me out of that mind space for a good while, so when I went back to "Rise and Fall", it was with a fresh view, and I was able to work it through.

Good night of puzzling!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

What a super puzzle! It took me back to my early days of meta solving when I had that sinking feeling that there simply wasn't enough information provided to get anywhere. A good reminder indeed!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Love Patrick Berry puzzles!
Heidi
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

I started doing these Variety puzzles (except cryptics) long before metas, but I am definitely not a whiz at it. If I am a Late Sunday Solver, then I have done well. In the case of Acrostics, 116 minutes is closer to what I can do. But as mentioned in several of these threads, they are always fun to do and this one is no exception.