WSJ Acrostic -- October 24, 2020

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
ChrisKochmanski

WSJ Acrostic -- October 24, 2020

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I intended to print this one, but the PDF wouldn't download, so I tried it online. I'm not wild about acrostics in print -- all that double entering, with me making many mistakes. I do them, but sometimes reluctantly. This is the first time I've tried an acrostic online, with the single entering and other helpful features. Fun! And I completed it in just over 16 minutes, which has to be an acrostic record for me.
Meg

Post by Meg »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:14 pm I intended to print this one, but the PDF wouldn't download, so I tried it online. I'm not wild about acrostics in print -- all that double entering, with me making many mistakes. I do them, but sometimes reluctantly. This is the first time I've tried an acrostic online, with the single entering and other helpful features. Fun! And I completed it in just over 16 minutes, which has to be an acrostic record for me.
I’ve NEVER done an acrostic in 16 minutes. Way to go!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:14 pm I intended to print this one, but the PDF wouldn't download, so I tried it online. I'm not wild about acrostics in print -- all that double entering, with me making many mistakes. I do them, but sometimes reluctantly. This is the first time I've tried an acrostic online, with the single entering and other helpful features. Fun! And I completed it in just over 16 minutes, which has to be an acrostic record for me.
16 minutes! I could hardly even have typed it that fast with the answers all given to me.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Solving this puzzle without Google helped make up for failing at this week’s meta. I only had L, O, Q, and S after the first run through the clues so it was not promising, but my possible answer for B appeared to fit and I tried an answer for T that I knew used a stage name. That answer really helped, and then the answer to F provided the next key step to eventually fill in the rest.

I like other variety puzzles better but am gradually warming up to acrostics.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Meg wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:21 pm
I’ve NEVER done an acrostic in 16 minutes. Way to go!
I'll be the first to say, I had NEVER solved an acrostic -- WSJ, NYT, or otherwise -- in 16 minutes before. My guess is that it was just one of those things. Unusually, I knew quite a few of the answers Mike S. was looking for, and my guesses here and there mostly proved correct. Kinda like what this guy did -- https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... s-baseball -- but I swear I was NOT on acid!
mokelfish

Post by mokelfish »

The recent string of WSJ acrostics have been really impressive. Really enjoy doing them online (as opposed to in print).
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Thanks for posting this; I did not know they had acrostics in the WSJ until just now...I do them bi-weekly with my NYT crossword subscription. 16 minutes is an excellent time; I think there was one in the NYT a year or 2 back that was all Chuck Berry themed that I got in about 10 but those are special cases...