WSJ Variety is a “Twister” by Patrick Berry

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
Richard B.

WSJ Variety is a “Twister” by Patrick Berry

Post by Richard B. »

Meg

Post by Meg »

Lovely! And not a walk in the park. Read the directions.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Really enjoyed this one. My printer toner is low so the shaded areas do not show up well, so after much frustration, I printed a new copy and highlighted the twists started over. Finally got it finished after rereading to get that there were TWO blanks in each twist.
mokelfish

Post by mokelfish »

Interesting format...I've seen the combination of a spiral and a marching bands before, but not with the tough meta/skipping element
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Meg wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:25 pm Lovely! And not a walk in the park. Read the directions.
I started it WITHOUT reading the directions -- and got frustrated fast! Fortunately, my cooler head prevailed, I returned to the directions, and ultimately found that the unchecked spaces made for a fun and satisfying challenge.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Did it yesterday. Really enjoyed it! I had to underline the directions to keep me on track.
Heidi
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

This new variety was fun and very ingenious with the cross clues, spirals, and blanks. It helped to label the corners as I realized which spiral was which.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

How is this even possible? Who could possibly have the idea in the first place, and then make it work? Oh, right: Patrick Berry.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

What a fun puzzle this one was! When I finally "got" the "caver's cry" answer my response was similar to DameFox's now-legendary comment a few weeks ago.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:10 am What a fun puzzle this one was! When I finally "got" the "caver's cry" answer my response was similar to DameFox's now-legendary comment a few weeks ago.
What a great clue!! It was my last entry and I just groaned!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.