Updates: Harper's June 2021

Enter if you dare!
RPardoe

Updates: Harper's June 2021

Post by RPardoe »

Haven't received my issue yet, but PDF is available for download from the website for subscribers.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Gimmick reveals itself relatively quickly.
Another fun puzzle from R. Maltby
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

RPardoe wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 pm Gimmick reveals itself relatively quickly.
Another fun puzzle from R. Maltby
My sentiments exactly. Fun!
steveb

Post by steveb »

I'm quite confident that I have completed the puzzle correctly, but I see only 12 answers that had to be "considered 51A before being entered." Am I missing one or were the instructions possibly counting one that isn't there?
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I only count 12, too!
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

@steveb @Tom Wilson

There are 13.

I suspect you are missing either of the following:

32A or 37D

Happy to discuss via PM if I am incorrect.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I was counting only 12 too, until I remembered that one 51A consideration could be counted twice (if you know what I mean).

EDIT: To anyone still solving, this post, pre-edit, may be confusing. If so, please just ignore it. I needed to explain it, via PM, to another Muggle, and in doing so, I realized that by trying to not to say too much in the post, for those still solving, I probably only muddied the waters and added to the head scratching. I do indeed see 13 of the 51A considerations, it's just that ... oh, you should know what I mean after you complete the puzzle. :)
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

This one was a tough one for me. I had to walk away several times before that NW corner finally cracked open, but I made it to the Malt shop.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Yeah. I'm still struggling with 2d and 3d. Took many fresh looks to get as far as I have. After a couple of days, when I come back I will look at the grid instead of the clues to see if I almost have a word and the see if I can make my word fit the clue. Sometimes it does...
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

SewYoung wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:22 pm Yeah. I'm still struggling with 2d and 3d. Took many fresh looks to get as far as I have. After a couple of days, when I come back I will look at the grid instead of the clues to see if I almost have a word and the see if I can make my word fit the clue. Sometimes it does...
Did you get it?
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Not as of the last time I looked at it, which was at lunch time today.
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

This one was enjoyably challenging, and I found it to be one OC his toughest in a while. Looks like I wasn’t alone in struggling with the NW quadrant. I suspected, but wasn’t sure of, 1A, so that complicated matters. Thankfully the mechanism revealed itself early.
Is the answer to 10D in the wrong tense given the clue? Or am I missing something? PM’s welcome.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I was confused by 10D also.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

New to these - got the mag from my public library - and finished the puzzle over several days - NW corner last - had to go back to several clues to understand the parsings but now all seem to make sense more or less - :)
-Tamara