Harper's November 2021 - "Foursomes"

Enter if you dare!
RPardoe

Harper's November 2021 - "Foursomes"

Post by RPardoe »

Mid-month, so the website has turned to the latest (October) issue.
New Maltby Cryptic available for subscribers.

Foursomes: The bar pattern in this puzzle has four-way symmetry, that is, it remains the same no matter which side is up. Therefore, the clues have been grouped into foursomes, each group comprising the four entries sharing symmetrical placement. But within each foursome, the clues are listed in random order; the solver must place them correctly in the diagram.
Last edited by RPardoe on Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Finally had time to get to this one after work and done.
28D was the most challenging to parse, but finally got it.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Finally got it, as well. I question the spelling of 6D in that particular context, but maybe I've just been wrong all this time. I've labored under many a misconception in my 64 years!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Solved. :)
-Tamara
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Made it to the Malt shop, but I still don't get 28D.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I just had a few minutes to look at it today and have about a half dozen clues solved. Hope to have some time to concentrate on it tomorrow. Looks hard...
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:39 pm I just had a few minutes to look at it today and have about a half dozen clues solved. Hope to have some time to concentrate on it tomorrow. Looks hard...
Finally almost finished. Got everything but 20D. A nudge would be appreciated. Unless I have something wrong somewhere else, the relevant clue is #3 in the 7-letter group.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Finally got my Harper’s today. Made it to the Malt Shop in about an hour and three quarters, but I still don’t get the parsing of 28D, and I just guessed at 20D and confirmed it by googling. Also, I’ve always spelled 6D differently too. No complaints, though. Fun puzzle!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I agree on both points. Didn't remember that I still had questions about 28D until your post made me think to look at it again. I don't get it either.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I never received my Harper's magazine at all this month (another USPS fail?). I finally went online and printed out the puzzle. I always enjoy the Foursomes. I was also stuck on 28D, but I think I figured it out.

Move=GO, and DS is the last two letters of backwards after you remove rear=back and war=action (which seems like a stretch).
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Leslie wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:10 pm I never received my Harper's magazine at all this month (another USPS fail?). I finally went online and printed out the puzzle. I always enjoy the Foursomes. I was also stuck on 28D, but I think I figured it out.

Move=GO, and DS is the last two letters of backwards after you remove rear=back and war=action (which seems like a stretch).
That's how I parsed it also.