Rule Breakers: Harper's May 2021

Enter if you dare!
norrin2

Rule Breakers: Harper's May 2021

Post by norrin2 »

Knocked this one out in less than an hour. I like puzzles with a lot of unclued entries; it seems to make the clued ones easier.
I still think we need a metaphor for finishing one of these delightful puzzles -- how about "Made it to the Malt shop"? in honor of Richard Maltby.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Treating myself to one of my favorite flavors, in honor.
https://www.hudsonvilleicecream.com/fla ... milk-ball/

Took me about an hour too. Maybe slightly longer. Big fun!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Has taken me considerably more than an hour. Now have all but 12a and 6d. Will look again on the morning before asking for help.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Looked again and finished. I especially liked "Unclued" C clue and answer.
2D was quite arcane and I imagine would be "ungettable" for most. Took me a while even when I had an idea of what the clue referred to. Had to look it up to verify as I didn't remember the name.
Edited to add: On the other hand, I imagine that whatever their religious affiliation (or lack thereof), Cryptic Crossword solvers, would be more likely than the general public to recognize obscure biblical names. As I say, I didn't remember the name, but did remember the story.
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Enjoying my malted. I’m coming to the conclusion that Mr. Maltby is my favorite setter. His cluing is always clever and amusing, and his variety formats are engaging. I did not have as much trouble with this one as I have had with some of his others. It helped that I sussed out the top line early. That led to 24 squares getting filled in automatically, quite unusual and highly useful in a cryptic solve.