WSJ - H.O.T. Stuff - 6-21-21

A place to discuss regular (non-meta) crossword puzzles.
SReh26

WSJ - H.O.T. Stuff - 6-21-21

Post by SReh26 »

9.07 minutes! Touchdown!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

As I was telling my little nephew, “son, as size sayin’, in life, you just have to stick with it, keep practicing, focus on constant improvement, give your very best every day.

Never give up. And then one day, ONE day, when you least expect it, you too can get a sub 10 on the wsj Monday xword.”
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Woo hoo!! Congratulations!!!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:37 am Woo hoo!! Congratulations!!!
Thank you so much, Barbara!!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

You should see how fast folks at Lollapuzzoola in NYC can solve a puzzle of this difficulty level. Two minutes - ish!

It is a fun competition if you ever have the opportunity to go. I went a couple of years ago. The first puzzle had a time allotment of either 15 or 20 minutes - I cannot remember exactly. Anyway, I solved in about five minutes and sent a text to my husband to let him know how excited I was. Then I raised my head and looked around the room and it was already over half empty of those who had finished before me. It was an amazing and humbling experience all at once.

I have never been one to watch my solving times, but now you all have made me do it - LOL! Today - 5:02 electronically. But, I have been doing crosswords as long as I can remember and I am one of the semi-retirees on the board. That adds up to a big number in crossword years. Practice makes perfect!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

I’m an amateur, but it’s fun hanging with the pros. I think 9.07 is the fastest I will ever do. Like the marathon - I ran it once and finished and that’s enough for me.

Hanging with y’all for only three months put me in the position where I can now solve all the wsj daily puzzles - a rapid improvement. Now I don’t have to figure out what will keep me busy when and if I retire.