Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Drink_til_MT_puzzler wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:46 am Howdy! I'm Scott from Bozeman, MT. I teach at Montana State University and have been doing the WSJCC for several years now. I'm finally ready to claim my stateroom. In addition to WSJCC, I love the Hex Cryptics. My user name Drink Til MT is in tribute to the motto of our best local brewery (Bozeman Brewing) who sponsors the men's hockey team I captain, with my primary responsibility being picking up our two-case game allotment of assorted frosty beverage.
Shocking - A hockey team that drinks beer - LOL
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Hi I’m Jean from New Richmond Ohio outside Cincinnati. I’ve been doing crosswords since 1977 right after first child was born and I was on maternity leave. I did local paper crosswords, cryptograms, jumbles, & games magazine riding on bus to and from work downtown. Then USA Today, then wsj and NYT after I retired in 2013. Cryptic crosswords are my favorite, along with these new friday WSJ contests. I also do a fair number of jigsaws and then mount and hang. First and only husband, 3 daughters, 4 grandkids and one more on the way. also golf with ladies on tuesdays and book club too.. Life is good!
Note to Bob Stevens....I visited my sister-in-law and her family a couple times in York ME and spent a week there recuperating after donating a kidney to my husbands niece in 1999. Surgery was at mass general...but had to wait a week to fly home. Niece is well and enjoying life. They lived on Sea Trumpet at the time, big yellow 3 story. But no longer.. great ocean view...
Toby

Post by Toby »

I'm Toby, my real first name (I know it is unusual as a girl's name, but my father wanted to call me that, and as he was in the navy in Guam during WW II when I was born his view prevailed, probably for the only time in my parents' marriage). I have always loved any kind of word puzzle, especially cryptics (thanks Nation Magazine for that) and got entirely addicted to metas after I finally solved one after weeks of trying. I got hooked on the WSJ blog when I began to read it, hoping for spoilers, and found it a group of such nice, smart and helpful people that I became a regular until their ridiculous recent decision to limit the comments.
I live in New York City, right across the street from Columbia University where I arrived at age 17 from Brookline MA to go to Barnard College. I'm now 74, so I guess I have a problem with change.
I'm a semi-retired lawyer who by tremendous luck was able to do public-interest law my whole career, and now, other than puzzles, I like to travel, cook, eat, hike, play with grandkids and go to the theater, sometimes all on the same day.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Toby wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:14 am I'm Toby, my real first name (I know it is unusual as a girl's name, but my father wanted to call me that, and as he was in the navy in Guam during WW II when I was born his view prevailed, probably for the only time in my parents' marriage). I have always loved any kind of word puzzle, especially cryptics (thanks Nation Magazine for that) and got entirely addicted to metas after I finally solved one after weeks of trying. I got hooked on the WSJ blog when I began to read it, hoping for spoilers, and found it a group of such nice, smart and helpful people that I became a regular until their ridiculous recent decision to limit the comments.
I live in New York City, right across the street from Columbia University where I arrived at age 17 from Brookline MA to go to Barnard College. I'm now 74, so I guess I have a problem with change.
I'm a semi-retired lawyer who by tremendous luck was able to do public-interest law my whole career, and now, other than puzzles, I like to travel, cook, eat, hike, play with grandkids and go to the theater, sometimes all on the same day.
I can see the Shakespearean discussion about naming you "Toby or not Toby". I love the name.

Also everyone should know that you are very good at these meta contests.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Toby

Post by Toby »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:36 am
Toby wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:14 am I'm Toby, my real first name (I know it is unusual as a girl's name, but my father wanted to call me that, and as he was in the navy in Guam during WW II when I was born his view prevailed, probably for the only time in my parents' marriage). I have always loved any kind of word puzzle, especially cryptics (thanks Nation Magazine for that) and got entirely addicted to metas after I finally solved one after weeks of trying. I got hooked on the WSJ blog when I began to read it, hoping for spoilers, and found it a group of such nice, smart and helpful people that I became a regular until their ridiculous recent decision to limit the comments.
I can see the Shakespearean discussion about naming you "Toby or not Toby". I love the name.

My mother wanted to call me Barbara, now my middle name, and the name of another meta solver I greatly admire for solving skill and wise, kind comments.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:36 am

Bob another comment that I need a like button for.
And, Toby, the only Tobys I know are all female.
drabble

Post by drabble »

Hello!

Current physics student, ex-navy submariner, long time NYT crossword solver, starting to branch out and find some new outlets.

This was my first time trying the WSJ contest and I really enjoyed it! I really want the mug.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Inca wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:56 pm
Freida, maybe I misunderstood your comment, but the like button is next to the quote button that you used.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

FrankH wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:38 am
Inca wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:56 pm
Freida, maybe I misunderstood your comment, but the like button is next to the quote button that you used.
The like button is new. It wasn't available last weekend.
BillKeeney

Post by BillKeeney »

Hi, my name is Bill Keeney. I am an educator in the Philadelphia area. Long-time puzzler, but fairly new to the WSJ puzzles. Still trying to decode the "lingo" of the chat board. Have figured out most of it--except how to find out if the "meta" is right! --Bill
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Welcome, Bill, and thanks for joining. You can find some helpful information in the two "FAQ" Sections under the Come Aboard section (where you found this thread). There is an FAQ section for questions about using the forum software (FAQs -Technical), as well as one for the "lingo" of the board (FAQs - Community). Feel free to poke around and experiment....you won't break anything. And of course, ask any questions you may have -- it's a very friendly group!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

BillKeeney wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:52 pm Hi, my name is Bill Keeney. I am an educator in the Philadelphia area. Long-time puzzler, but fairly new to the WSJ puzzles. Still trying to decode the "lingo" of the chat board. Have figured out most of it--except how to find out if the "meta" is right! --Bill
Welcome, Bill!

The official answer is published with the Monday crossword - either the PDF file or the paper. The PDF gets posted online a bit after the midnight deadline. The explanations can be a bit terse though, since they have to fit it into a small space.

People will often post a more detailed explanation of how they found the answer right here, again starting right after the deadline. If no one offers an explanation, you can always ask, or if there's a part that isn't clear, request more details.

https://crosswordfiend.com/ also publishes a review of the puzzle that generally includes a good explanation of the answer.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Hi. I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago, having been a lurker on the WSJ blog and never having worked up the nerve to join it. I've been participating in the crossword puzzle contest almost since the beginning, and even figured out PAGEANT, though many less difficult metas have bamboozled me. My hobbies include travel and reading, and one of the most memorable literary phrases that I have come in contact with is "ravishes into admiration," a phrase that aptly applies to both the constructors of these puzzles and those who solve them every or almost every week. The comments in this forum have long been a delight, from the appropriation of the term "muggle," to the lingo derived from "The Love Boat," to the KAS scale. Usually reluctant to talk about myself, I will add that I consider myself to be most fortunate in having young grandchildren.
mcolfinn

Post by mcolfinn »

Old hand at the Saturday puzzle, completely new to the contest. So far at sea with the "motion" answer this week. So new I don't even know where and when they post the answer. Anyone?
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Hi this is Mary from Naples, Hudson, Oh and originally New England. Carryover from WSJ. Thanks for setting this up!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

mcolfinn wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:52 pm Old hand at the Saturday puzzle, completely new to the contest. So far at sea with the "motion" answer this week. So new I don't even know where and when they post the answer. Anyone?
You can get the answer several different ways, all after Sunday midnight. 1) look here as people post it, 2) look at the WSJ site as it may be posted there also, 3) look at the crossword in WSJ print or the pdf on line as the answer is there also or 4) look at crosswordfiend.com
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bee

Post by Bee »

Hi All! I'm Bee from NC. I'm a Mom, musician, educator, and tennis enthusiast. I'm brand new to this world of Crosswords, and especially Metas! I've been trying to work through the old WSJ Metas and all of your coded comments. I'm not sure which I've enjoyed more. You are a great bunch! I appreciate the layout you've set up here. Thanks!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Bee wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:40 am Hi All! I'm Bee from NC. I'm a Mom, musician, educator, and tennis enthusiast. I'm brand new to this world of Crosswords, and especially Metas! I've been trying to work through the old WSJ Metas and all of your coded comments. I'm not sure which I've enjoyed more. You are a great bunch! I appreciate the layout you've set up here. Thanks!
Welcome to the group. Good luck with the metas. Make sure you look at the suggestions in the associated thread. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bee wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:40 am Hi All! I'm Bee from NC. I'm a Mom, musician, educator, and tennis enthusiast. I'm brand new to this world of Crosswords, and especially Metas! I've been trying to work through the old WSJ Metas and all of your coded comments. I'm not sure which I've enjoyed more. You are a great bunch! I appreciate the layout you've set up here. Thanks!
Hi Bee! What kind of music? I play reeds in community bands and pit orchestras for local theaters and schools. Just had the first rehearsal for Annie Get Your Gun this morning.
Bee

Post by Bee »

Hi Barbara! How fun!

My first love is classical piano, though I dabble with jazz here and there. :)

I also do some middle school choral accompanying and I teach. I used to sing a lot. Oh, and I played clarinet for Lady Di and Prince Charles once!!

So happy to connect with you via xwords. :)
Btw, do you ever do the music xwords? I'm scared to go over there because I will never get my practicing done.... lol

Bee