Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
hashbrownoholic

Post by hashbrownoholic »

Hi, I'm Megan. I grew up in San Diego but moved to Atlanta after graduating 2 years ago for a job as a Data Analyst. I've always been a huge NYT crossword fan (and any other crossword or puzzle tossed my way), but I'm new to WSJ puzzles. I have a constant need to be solving a problem, optimizing, or puzzling and if I don't have something to work on, my brain just starts creating problems for me to solve :D
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

hashbrownoholic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:24 pm Hi, I'm Megan. I grew up in San Diego but moved to Atlanta after graduating 2 years ago for a job as a Data Analyst. I've always been a huge NYT crossword fan (and any other crossword or puzzle tossed my way), but I'm new to WSJ puzzles. I have a constant need to be solving a problem, optimizing, or puzzling and if I don't have something to work on, my brain just starts creating problems for me to solve :D
Welcome Megan! Love your screen name! We have a Muggle named Hashbrown - any relation? 🧸
hashbrownoholic

Post by hashbrownoholic »

SReh26 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:05 pm
Welcome Megan! Love your screen name! We have a Muggle named Hashbrown - any relation? 🧸
Thank you! no relation, I just really love hashbrowns! Or any way potatoes can be prepared for that matter :)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Preterosso wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:12 pm Long time lurker, first time poster. My wife and I have been following along and getting on shore more often than not over the past year, so we figured it was time to buy a ticket and join the party! I’m on the marketing team at a local university, with a particular interest in baseball history and analytics. Looking forward to the cruising! -Phil & Kelli
killer screen name - do people know the reference to V?
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

This is Ed from Prairie Village, Kansas. I was a humor writer, editor and manager at Hallmark Cards for 35 years before retiring in 2010. Discovered Matt's Weekly Crossword Contest Puzzle more than a few years ago and have been beating my head against the wall ever since. Loved puzzles of every kind since childhood. Can any of you remember the old New York Magazine cryptics by Stephen Sondheim and Richard Maltby Jr.? Well, that's when I really got hooked on the non-standard varieties. So glad to have found this site!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Guffman wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:54 pm This is Ed from Prairie Village, Kansas. I was a humor writer, editor and manager at Hallmark Cards for 35 years before retiring in 2010. Discovered Matt's Weekly Crossword Contest Puzzle more than a few years ago and have been beating my head against the wall ever since. Loved puzzles of every kind since childhood. Can any of you remember the old New York Magazine cryptics by Stephen Sondheim and Richard Maltby Jr.? Well, that's when I really got hooked on the non-standard varieties. So glad to have found this site!
We've been waiting for you!
zach

Post by zach »

Hello everyone!

I’m Zach! I just completed my 52nd WSJ crossword contest which means I’m entering my second year of this excellent hobby. I told myself I’d join the forum after 52 weeks or winning the mug, whichever came first. No mug yet, but I have had 40 tries so far. 12 of the puzzles were a tad too difficult for me! My favorite puzzle from the last year was Mike Shenk’s “Risky Business” from December. I wish my wife captured a video of me having the prime number epiphany late Sunday night!

I am a data analyst for a living and have been tracking the results from Mike’s posts each week. Want to know your odds of winning the mug? That would be 1 out of 1424, but as expected, the harder the crossword, the better the odds.
8AC01B31-D845-4EDB-AC36-F3200F6D4C86.png
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

Hello all! I've been doing the crossword contest and watching the forum for about a year. Your posts and reference materials have been so helpful, and I've loved the humor and positive spirit of the forum. My husband & two adult sons also enjoy pitching in each week, trying to help me out. I'm recently retired from Coca-Cola, and we just moved from Atlanta to Montgomery AL. Looking forward to joining in some weekly conversations now that I finally created an account!!
Hector

Post by Hector »

zach wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:21 pm Hello everyone!

I’m Zach! I just completed my 52nd WSJ crossword contest which means I’m entering my second year of this excellent hobby. I told myself I’d join the forum after 52 weeks or winning the mug, whichever came first. No mug yet, but I have had 40 tries so far. 12 of the puzzles were a tad too difficult for me! My favorite puzzle from the last year was Mike Shenk’s “Risky Business” from December. I wish my wife captured a video of me having the prime number epiphany late Sunday night!

I am a data analyst for a living and have been tracking the results from Mike’s posts each week. Want to know your odds of winning the mug? That would be 1 out of 1424, but as expected, the harder the crossword, the better the odds.

8AC01B31-D845-4EDB-AC36-F3200F6D4C86.png
Fantastic! The stars are genuinely measuring something, and impressively close to linearly. Welcome.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Carolyn wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:53 pm Hello! I'm Carolyn from Sacramento, a long time lurker and recent recipient of hints on a couple puzzles so I thought I should introduce myself. I'm a retired ICU nursing instructor, birder, recent crossword addict, French language student, mom of two grown kids, wife of retired doc and lover of travel. I do the WSJ, MGWCC and PGW each week with varying degrees of success. No mug yet, but maybe someday.....
Hi
In my records, I have a Carolyn Mercer from the WSJ. Are you the same Carolyn?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

No. I'm Carolyn Shaw Woodruff, retired RN, originally from San Diego, lived in Sacramento for many years, but now have moved to Carlsbad, California. I just updated my profile. I'm CHSW on MGWCC. I rarely post but do enjoy reading all the comments. Thanks for all you do!
kimberlysg

Post by kimberlysg »

Hi, I'm Kimberly from Chattanooga, Tennessee. By day I work as a corporate paralegal, although I was a high school English teacher in a past life. I've been doing the WSJ crosswords for several months now and enjoy them so much that they are the sole reason I subscribed to the digital WSJ. I can usually solve the puzzle but only occasionally get the meta and am SO proud of myself when I do. :D I've been following this forum for awhile as well and finally made up my mind to register. Thanks for letting me mix and mingle here with all you awesomely smart people! (I'm hoping it will rub off . . . . )
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

kimberlysg wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:30 pm Hi, I'm Kimberly from Chattanooga, Tennessee. By day I work as a corporate paralegal, although I was a high school English teacher in a past life. I've been doing the WSJ crosswords for several months now and enjoy them so much that they are the sole reason I subscribed to the digital WSJ. I can usually solve the puzzle but only occasionally get the meta and am SO proud of myself when I do. :D I've been following this forum for awhile as well and finally made up my mind to register. Thanks for letting me mix and mingle here with all you awesomely smart people! (I'm hoping it will rub off . . . . )
Welcome, Kimberley!
I once visited a lovely little park in Chattanooga with my daughter when she was living in Nashville. It was by the river and had a merry-go-round! :D
Also rode the Incline Railway. In fact, my ticket stub is staring at me right now, from a memories montage I made that's hanging on my porch wall!
kimberlysg

Post by kimberlysg »

whimsy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:31 pm Welcome, Kimberley!
I once visited a lovely little park in Chattanooga with my daughter when she was living in Nashville. It was by the river and had a merry-go-round! :D
Also rode the Incline Railway. In fact, my ticket stub is staring at me right now, from a memories montage I made that's hanging on my porch wall!
Ah, yes, that would be Coolidge Park, and I live only a hop, skip and a jump away. We do have a lovely riverfront, and the Incline is definitely a must for anyone who hasn't done it. Come on back some time and visit our wonderful aquarium too!
Puzzled

Post by Puzzled »

Hello all : )

My name is Lydia. I am a project coordinator for a retail company in Montreal, Canada. I regularly do the NYT crosswords, but am new to the crossword contest. I finally cracked "Connect the Dots" this week, so thought it would be alright to join. I will be teaming up with my Dad, who is also on the forum.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Puzzled wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 pm Hello all : )

My name is Lydia. I am a project coordinator for a retail company in Montreal, Canada. I regularly do the NYT crosswords, but am new to the crossword contest. I finally cracked "Connect the Dots" this week, so thought it would be alright to join. I will be teaming up with my Dad, who is also on the forum.
And I am Frank, proud Papa Bear of Lydia and the southern half of Équipe Canuck.

8^D
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

Hi all! My name is Rachel. College mathematics professor and language lover. My mom and I started our puzzle journey together with word jumbles and celebrity ciphers, working our way up to crosswords and other fun puzzles (we especially like the "rows" garden puzzles). Mom was the one who started working on the WSJ contest and I've been helping her make it to shore the last few weeks. I've started to try on my own and we help each other out, so thought it was time to join the Muggles officially!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

regfish7 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:09 pm Hi all! My name is Rachel. College mathematics professor and language lover. My mom and I started our puzzle journey together with word jumbles and celebrity ciphers, working our way up to crosswords and other fun puzzles (we especially like the "rows" garden puzzles). Mom was the one who started working on the WSJ contest and I've been helping her make it to shore the last few weeks. I've started to try on my own and we help each other out, so thought it was time to join the Muggles officially!

And we are glad to have you here. Welcome.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Puzzled wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 pm Hello all : )

I hope that Papa Bear buys you one of those beers he has in his avatar whenever he gets to see you. Welcome to the group
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
T-Square

Post by T-Square »

Robert from Austin. I've been doing the WSJ puzzle for a while but new to this forum. I am looking for any other puzzle contests, especially those where you can actually win something.