Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

T-Square wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:12 am Robert from Austin. I've been doing the WSJ puzzle for a while but new to this forum. I am looking for any other puzzle contests, especially those where you can actually win something.
Hi Robert and welcome to the forum! Check out the Meta Calendar for a schedule of all recurring meta crossword puzzles we are aware of. You can also access this link from the navigation bar at the top of the page.

Be sure to check out the Other Metas section of this site for lively discussion of each non-WSJ meta puzzle.

Please let me know if you have any questions or issues using the site.
littlegreycells

Post by littlegreycells »

Hello everyone! I'm Carolyn from Connecticut. I'm a PhD student in molecular biology, but I like to rock climb and puzzle outside the lab :) I discovered the WSJ crossword contest this year and have been quietly lurking on the forum as I've learned how to solve it. I'm finally starting to understand meta mechanisms and the obsession is only growing stronger!!
Kalamitykatie

Post by Kalamitykatie »

Hello! I’m Katie from Maine. I work in finance and started doing daily crosswords recently to work my brain and now I’m obsessed. I have YET to solve a meta crossword but I am trying and learning everyday. I also love to read and crochet when I’m not pondering puzzles.
rwillhrco

Post by rwillhrco »

Hello! I'm Rob from Colorado (Denver Area). I work in finance and have been doing these puzzles for a while, I love them and came across the group after seeing the comments at the bottom of a recent puzzle.
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Hi, everybody. I’m Matthew, originally from England, then in NJ for 15 years and now in Tokyo (near the Olympic stadium). I’ve done cryptic crosswords for years starting with The Telegraph in the UK, and am really enjoying the WSJ ones although it will be a while before I can make it ashore on my own, I think…
Waxford

Post by Waxford »

Hello, it’s Wayne from Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. I have been doing the wsj crossword regularly for a few years now, but did not start trying in earnest to work out the Friday puzzle answer until about a year ago when I retired from a career in the dental business. I have been able to reach shore about half of the time. I just discovered this forum and look forward to checking in.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Hi, my name is Ben (usename benchen71). I live in Melbourne, Australia. I've been a fan of themed crosswords and cryptic crosswords, but only recently got into meta crosswords.

I have a number of other interests: music, writing, and theology (and various combinations of those three). I have a YouTube channel with music videos of my original songs and miscellaneous teaching videos (https://www.youtube.com/c/benchen71). I've written three historical novels (https://www.ephesusscroll.com) which you can find on Amazon and most other ebook websites. I've also written a full-length musical and a 2 act play. You can find my music on Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/ben-chenoweth-2).

My "About Me" website is https://www.ephesusscroll.com/about
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

Hi, my name is Chris and I am an engineer from San Diego. I've been doing these puzzles for a few weeks after being introduced to them by a friend, but I plan to retire soon and spend more time meta-cruising. I've always loved puzzles of all types including crosswords, acrostics, and cryptics. My other hobbies are board games, baseball, beer, and film.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:09 pm Hi, my name is Chris and I am an engineer from San Diego. I've been doing these puzzles for a few weeks after being introduced to them by a friend, but I plan to retire soon and spend more time meta-cruising. I've always loved puzzles of all types including crosswords, acrostics, and cryptics. My other hobbies are board games, baseball, beer, and film.
AAAARRRGGGHHH!

Now I'm going to be walking around all day singing "and we're zoo animals... ON WHEELS!"

Have you ever hung upside down with a guy named Larry by any chance?
NebFaninCA

Post by NebFaninCA »

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing the WSJ crosswords for a while but using this website for the first time.

I've completed a few metas but I have to admit I'm by no means an expert.

How does one go about getting a "nudge"?
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

NebFaninCA wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:19 pm How does one go about getting a "nudge"?
Hello and welcome.

There is a Guidance on Hints/Nudges as part of the FAQs on Community Resources.
Colin&Chuck904

Post by Colin&Chuck904 »

Oh, hello! Colin and Chuck here, charmed I'm sure.

Two longtime muggles who are sunburnt, bloated, thirsty, perpetually lost at sea, and tired of going down with the ship instead of making it to shore.
Bill_Swerski_13

Post by Bill_Swerski_13 »

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, hello! charmed I'm sure, I'm Jack, originally from Chicago (daaaaaa Bears!) and I love puzzles! I just started doing the WSJ Contest puzzles regularly, and I was so entertained by this forum that I wanted to join. I tend to spend a long time out at sea but looking forward to getting some experience under my belt! Happy to be here.
THags

Post by THags »

Hello all. I am Tom from Pinckney, Michigan. I am new to crosswords and very new to the Friday meta puzzles -- so new that I have yet to solve one. I started about 2 months ago and just recently found out the answers are posted in the Monday pdf, LOL. Now that I have seen some answers, and read the recent 'How to' from one of the creators, I am ready to improve my skill and actually solve one! Not today however (Aug 13th). This one has me completely befuddled.
I look forward to interacting with others and getting good at these.
cremebrulee

Post by cremebrulee »

Hi there, I'm new to puzzles and this forum. I've been enjoying completing the puzzles on a "surface" level, but it seems there are more layers to appreciate. I look forward to finding the deeper levels of these puzzles.

What do the circles in the boxes mean?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

cremebrulee wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:38 pm Hi there, I'm new to puzzles and this forum. I've been enjoying completing the puzzles on a "surface" level, but it seems there are more layers to appreciate. I look forward to finding the deeper levels of these puzzles.

In general, they're used to draw your attention to something that might otherwise be too subtle to notice.

For example, in the Thursday WSJ puzzle https://www.wsj.com/articles/reverse-en ... 1628266571
Each set of six circles has the letters T-A-B-L-E-S, in clockwise order but starting in a different position each time, and the long central across entry, "Turned the tables" explains that that's the theme of the puzzle.
cremebrulee

Post by cremebrulee »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:37 pm
cremebrulee wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:38 pm Hi there, I'm new to puzzles and this forum. I've been enjoying completing the puzzles on a "surface" level, but it seems there are more layers to appreciate. I look forward to finding the deeper levels of these puzzles.

In general, they're used to draw your attention to something that might otherwise be too subtle to notice.

For example, in the Thursday WSJ puzzle https://www.wsj.com/articles/reverse-en ... 1628266571
Each set of six circles has the letters T-A-B-L-E-S, in clockwise order but starting in a different position each time, and the long central across entry, "Turned the tables" explains that that's the theme of the puzzle.
Do I pay attention to the letters in the circles as I'm filling out the puzzle? Is it meant to provide aid? Or is it something clever to appreciate after it's been completed?

I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do with them... Thursday's turned the tables example is neat to see once it's finished, but sometimes I can't seem to make any sense of what the circled letters are supposed to mean or what they do. (Also, how does it relate to the title, "Reverse Engineering"?)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

cremebrulee wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:00 am

Do I pay attention to the letters in the circles as I'm filling out the puzzle? Is it meant to provide aid? Or is it something clever to appreciate after it's been completed?

I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do with them... Thursday's turned the tables example is neat to see once it's finished, but sometimes I can't seem to make any sense of what the circled letters are supposed to mean or what they do. (Also, how does it relate to the title, "Reverse Engineering"?)
That's a deep philosophical question :) I'd say it's mostly something clever to appreciate after you're done. But sometimes, if you're stuck near the end, it can help you finish.

As for Thursday's title, if you reverse something you turn it around. AFAIK there's no deeper meaning than that.
cremebrulee

Post by cremebrulee »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:30 am
cremebrulee wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:00 am

That's a deep philosophical question :) I'd say it's mostly something clever to appreciate after you're done. But sometimes, if you're stuck near the end, it can help you finish.

As for Thursday's title, if you reverse something you turn it around. AFAIK there's no deeper meaning than that.
I can see it's going to take a lot more practice and seeing more of these before I can get the hang of them. Thanks so much for the help. :D
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

SReh26 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:13 pm Hi everyone, I‘m Christina, Gen X, the daughter of two avid crossword puzzlers in pen, and I inherited this trait, or flaw, as the case may be, as well as the crucial familiarity with asps, ens and various German towns, most notably the otherwise unremarkable Essen. Discovering the wsj online crossword was the next level of addiction for me and I recently came to the point where even Thursdays and Fridays, and some Saturdays, are within my reach. The puzzle has been a godsend this past trying year. Very excited to speak with others who share this interest. My other hobbies are German literature and modern press, personal finance and yoga. Thank you for setting up this site!
I’m updating my intro now that I’ve been on the board for almost six months. I am a NYC native, grew up in Chelsea before it became fashionable and the West Village in a very small apartment. Riding the 1980s (90s and 2000s) opportunity wave, I also spent time for school and work in Chicago, DC, Finger Lakes area of New York, Geneva CH, Germany (a number of cities there) and London. I do not write poetry in any other venue, as should be apparent, but it seems to help with stress (mine, not yours).

I do have a job I like a lot but I’m getting a bit burned out and trying to figure out where to go from here and not get caught in the inevitable market downturn. I’m a First in my Family to do a lot of things, and also first generation American on one side, with few family connections, which is why I turn externally for guidance. Lately Ive been seeking counsel on Reddit, which seems to have no one older than 35. I’m not too good at these metas yet but I detect gradual - very gradual - improvement and I’m in it for the long haul as long as my health holds up.

And last but not least, this is an incredible community within which I’m proud to be tolerated.

Final note: Ive been to more than half the states in the Union (from Utah to Oklahoma to Mississippi and Louisiana to Seattle to SC and Maine) and Puerto Rico! Very thrilling to see so much of our regional variety in weather, landscape, customs, food and music! I’m a gulf coast fan and appreciate many other parts too.