How to open links in a new window

A place to ask and answer questions about how to use the forum.
BrianMac
Site Admin

How to open links in a new window

Post by BrianMac »

I have added a new option to the site that allows you to control whether a link that you click on the site opens a new window or takes you from the page you are on directly to the new page.

To access this feature, go to the User Control Panel and under the "Board preferences" tab, go to "Edit global settings" and at the bottom is a new box for "Open external links in new window."

external_link.png

There are three options:
  • Use board default - This is the same as "Never open new window"
  • Always open new window - Any link that you click on the site will open a new instance of your internet browser (i.e., a new window). The page of this forum that you were on will remain open.
  • Never open new window - This opens the link in the same window and will take you from the page of this forum you are on to the new page. You can click the "back" button to return to the forum.
Until now, the board default of opening pages in the same window has been the only option. If you prefer that, then there is no need to do anything.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I actually prefer to open links in a new tab (as opposed to new window). It's not really a big deal for me since I just Ctl+Click to do that. But if the feature is there, I wouldn't have to remember. :)
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Yes, that works as well. I'm using "tab" and "window" interchangeably. This feature seems to open a new "tab" in Chrome and Firefox, as opposed to a window. Here's a link you can experiment with:

MGWCC
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

In Windows, right-clicking will bring up options on how & where to open a link. Apologies for the size of the screen capture.

right click drop down 2.png

(I happen to use the Edge browser for WSJ crosswords, since it works best for solving/submitting on my Surface. I am typically a fan of Firefox.)