How to re-size a picture for use as an avatar

A place to ask and answer questions about how to use the forum.
BrianMac
Site Admin

How to re-size a picture for use as an avatar

Post by BrianMac »

In order to use a picture as an avatar, the image must be less than 180 x 180 pixels in physical size, AND use less than 20 kB of memory space. A “pixel” is a physical measurement (a dot, essentially) of how much screen space an image takes up. “kB,” or kilobytes, is a measure of memory space, and this represents how much memory the computer needs to store your image.

How to determine the size of your image.

You can check how much memory a picture uses by right-clicking on it and selecting “Properties” (on a Mac this is “Get Info").

get info.png

This image uses 12 kB of memory. If the number shown here is greater than 20 kB (or 20,000 bytes, depending on how your computer displays), then the image takes up too much memory to use as an avatar. One way to reduce this number is to reduce the size of the image. However, even if this number is less than 20 kB, the next step is to check the physical size of the image.

Click on the “Details” tab to see the physical size of the image (on a Mac, this is "More Info").

more info.png

This image is 235 pixels wide by 87 pixels tall. Both of these numbers need to be 180 or less in order to use this image as an avatar.

How to change the size of your image.

The easiest way to change the size of an image may be to use a free website such as http://picresize.com/, which was recommended by forum member billkatz.
billkatz wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:37 am This is the site I used to resize CIndy's avatar:
http://picresize.com/
It took some work to get her text to not get blurred when the high-def phone picture (2000+ pixels/side) was shrunk to avatar size (<180 pixels per side and <12kB). What I did was first convert it from jpeg to gif at full resolution to reduce it to 256 colors, and then I changed the size and saved it as a jpeg with the max file size specified.
[Note: Since billkatz posted this message, the kB limit has been increased to 20].

Websites like these let you upload your image, help you adjust the size, and then save the newly re-sized image to your computer, at which point you can upload it to this site as your avatar.

You can also manually change the size of an image using a simple program such as Microsoft Paint, which may have come with your computer. I’m sure advanced programs like Photoshop can also do this.

In Paint, open your picture and select “Resize”

resize.png

Then make sure "Pixels" and "Maintain aspect ratio" are both checked. Next, set the larger of the two numbers (Height and Width) to 180. The other should adjust automatically and proportionately.

resize2.png

Save the new image to your computer, at which point you can upload it to this site as your avatar.
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

Ha! Wish I had come here first. Spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to resize my photo before finally googling it and finding a website similar to the one you mentioned.
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

SUGGESTION: The pixel count may be correct, but the file size may be too big.

Following Brian's instructions, determine your avatar's properties in pixels/side. Also determine the avatar's file size. In MS Paint: File - Properties

Use calculator or app to determine pixel reduction (180 pixels max / largest width or height # in pixels).

Use calculator or app to determine file size reduction (19 KB / avatar's file size).

Reduce to the lower PERCENTAGE (i.e. greater reduction) of the pixel vs file size calculations.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Thank you everyone!! I have what I need! Much obliged!