I have a question

A place to ask and answer questions about how to use the forum.
Inca

I have a question

Post by Inca »

I love that I can zoom straight to the unread posts. When I am reading through them and I want to respond to one, as soon as I do that (by pressing on the quotation marks and typing my comment), I wind up having marked all the still unread posts as read.

Is there any way around this other than to wait until I read all the posts and then scroll back to the ones I want to respond to?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Inca wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:26 pm I love that I can zoom straight to the unread posts. When I am reading through them and I want to respond to one, as soon as I do that (by pressing on the quotation marks and typing my comment), I wind up having marked all the still unread posts as read.

Is there any way around this other than to wait until I read all the posts and then scroll back to the ones I want to respond to?
Someone may have a better answer, but as a workaround, you could reply in a different tab. On a Mac, command+click. On Safari on an iPhone, hold your finger on the quotation marks and pick Open in Background, etc. Then when you're done, close that tab and you'll be back where you were.
Inca

Post by Inca »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:25 pm
Inca wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:26 pm I love that I can zoom straight to the unread posts. When I am reading through them and I want to respond to one, as soon as I do that (by pressing on the quotation marks and typing my comment), I wind up having marked all the still unread posts as read.

Someone may have a better answer, but as a workaround, you could reply in a different tab. On a Mac, command+click. On Safari on an iPhone, hold your finger on the quotation marks and pick Open in Background, etc. Then when you're done, close that tab and you'll be back where you were.
Thanks, Barbara. So simple but would surely work.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I have a new version on my iPad and now wsj and NYT will not open in acrosslite. Any help?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Inca wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:43 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks, Barbara. So simple but would surely work.
Barbara's solution seems simplest. You may also be able to hit the back button to the page with unread posts still marked, or to the same page, anyway, where you left off when responding.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Hector

Post by Hector »

I have a related question, so I'm posting here. Is there any way to "ignore" or "unsubscribe" to a sub-board, so as not to be notified of unread posts? For instance if I wasn't subscribed to MGWCC, I might prefer not to see the Other Metas board group flagged as having new posts when the only new ones are in the MGWCC board. Not a big deal, but this software has so many bells and whistles, I thought I'd ask.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Hector wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:54 pm I have a related question, so I'm posting here. Is there any way to "ignore" or "unsubscribe" to a sub-board, so as not to be notified of unread posts? For instance if I wasn't subscribed to MGWCC, I might prefer not to see the Other Metas board group flagged as having new posts when the only new ones are in the MGWCC board. Not a big deal, but this software has so many bells and whistles, I thought I'd ask.
I don't think I have a way to do this, but I think I can remove your access to a forum or a subforum if you are not interested in it and just don't want it to show up at all. If you would like that, just let me know by PM.

Edit: I just played around with it, and it turns out that I can't do this after all. Sorry. :(
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hector wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:54 pm I have a related question, so I'm posting here. Is there any way to "ignore" or "unsubscribe" to a sub-board, so as not to be notified of unread posts? For instance if I wasn't subscribed to MGWCC, I might prefer not to see the Other Metas board group flagged as having new posts when the only new ones are in the MGWCC board. Not a big deal, but this software has so many bells and whistles, I thought I'd ask.
You can unsubscribe to an entire forum, and that keeps you from getting notifications of any of its subforums too. Go to that forum page, and then way down at the bottom there's a box to check to "Unsubscribe forum".

Using your example, you'd go to the top level MGWCC board
forums/viewforum.php?f=7
Unsubscribe button.jpg
On the main page, those forums will still have the red icon indicating that there are unread posts, but you won't get notifications about them.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Thanks, Barbara. You are absolutely correct, but my question was poorly expressed. What I was hoping for was a way to turn off the unread-posts signal for a sub-forum. It's just a slight bother to have to click through only to discover that the unread posts are not in a forum you are interested in.

I haven't "subscribed" for notifications for any forum. Maybe I should do that instead of relying on the unread-posts indicators.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hector wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:39 pm ...
I haven't "subscribed" for notifications for any forum. Maybe I should do that instead of relying on the unread-posts indicators.
That is how I do it, and it's been working well for me.