Problems with WSJ Crossword on Safari

A place to ask and answer questions about how to use the forum.
katnahat

Problems with WSJ Crossword on Safari

Post by katnahat »

Is anyone else having trouble filling in the WSJ Crossword grid online using Safari? This started after I updated my OS to Big Sur 11.6 yesterday morning. Sometimes I can't enter letters. Sometime letters disappear. Or the curser will jump around. It's happened on every puzzle I've tried to do, but doesn't happen on Chrome.

Thanks,

Kathie
Kathie
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

@katnahat I have Big Sur 11.6 / Safari 15.0 - no problems at all with the WSJ Crossword grid online.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Yes, I've had that issue for weeks now. Very frustrating. Every now and then it will work, but mostly I just print it out. I have 11.6/15.0.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Richard wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:41 pm I usually use Safari but gave up for the WSJ crosswords as my work would get lost.
I am using Firefox on a Mac for these puzzles and had trouble this week. Would type in some letters and they would go away or go to some other square.
Trying again and again got it. Anyone else have a problem?
Figured it must be the computer or something as pen and pencil solvers would not have the problem.
I think I am about halfway to the beach.
boharr

Post by boharr »

This may not help, but I find the WSJ Crossword grid online flaky. So I don't use it. I download the PDF or get the PUZ file from https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/21-wsj.html and solve it in Across Lite on my iMac running Big Sur 11.6 / Safari 15.0.
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

I submitted this question to WSJ and received some suggestions today. The two that were helpful, interestingly, are the same as what Bob posted at the top of this week’s contest thread — to empty the cache and browsing history. I tried it tonight and was able to do the puzzle on Safari. That Bob knows his stuff.
Kathie
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

katnahat wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:50 pm
Richard wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:41 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:41 pm Ashore. Time for a wee dram of the Scottish Highlands with a paper umbrellaette.

ATTENTION SAFARI USERS:

A muggle is requesting help with working the WSJ online form using Safari: Problems with WSJ Crossword on Safari

If you might be able to help, please read & reply.
I usually use Safari but gave up for the WSJ crosswords as my work would get lost.
I am using Firefox on a Mac for these puzzles and had trouble this week. Would type in some letters and they would go away or go to some other square.
Trying again and again got it. Anyone else have a problem?
Figured it must be the computer or something as pen and pencil solvers would not have the problem.
I think I am about halfway to the beach.
Hi, Richard

I was having the exact same problem with Safari, so I contacted WSJ and received this reply:

The issue you've described may be related to your browser's cookie or cache settings.

In order to access WSJ.com successfully, your browser must be set to accept all cookies. Please check to make sure your browser is set correctly. Instructions for checking are available in your browser's documentation.

We also suggest "saving" your User Name and Password. In order to do so, please first visit the following URL to automatically remove any previous login information that may reside within all your browsers: http://online.wsj.com/delete_cookie

We also suggest emptying your browser's cache memory to ensure that any old information is not adversely impacting performance. Use your browser's Help menu for cache-clearing instructions.

To ensure that you are viewing the latest update of WSJ.com, you may click on "Refresh" or "Reload" located on the top of your browser's toolbar.

If you are accessing from your company's server, please check with your company's Help Desk to ensure the company's network server cache files have been cleared.

Please be advised that Bookmarks and Favorites may become outdated or even corrupted. If you are attempting to access the site through a Bookmark or Favorite, please try to access directly through https://www.wsj.com.

Please call us via the Customer Service number below should you require any further, or personal assistance. We appreciate your continued interest in The Wall Street Journal.

Best Regards,

Rosalyn
Customer Service

I emptied the cache and history yesterday and was able to work on the Saturday puzzle without problem. Hope this helps.

Kathie