Being Pageanted

This is a place to learn about the Muggles community and some of the terminology we use. It also contains suggested strategies for solving meta crosswords, as well as a repository of all past WSJ crossword contests and solutions.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Being Pageanted

Post by Bob cruise director »

Periodically you may hear one of us mention that we were pageanted on a puzzle.

December 29, 2017, the crossword was constructed by the nefarious Marie Kelly (alias for Mike Shenk and an anagram for Really Mike) and entitled PLAY GROUNDS. The answer to the contest was "a kind of competition". It looked very simple with seven long answers containing the names of college bowl games. So most of us entered something like College Bowls.

However there was a second level to the contest. If you took the first letters of the cities that all the bowls were played in they spelled out Pageant (see below).

Rose Bowl – Pasadena
Cotton Bowl – Arlington Texas
Fiesta Bowl – Glendale AZ
Sun Bowl – El Paso Texas
Peach Bowl – Atlanta Georgia
Sugar Bowl – New Orleans
Outback Bowl – Tampa

So Pageant’ed has come to mean a puzzle where you get hoodwinked by the simplicity and there is a second level.

The link to the original puzzle's page on the WSJ site is no longer active.

If you want to see the morphed puzzle and solution, go here and scroll down 4 or 5 contest solutions.

To solve this via PDF, click here.

The standalone PDF solution published by WSJ is here.

Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HiJack

Post by HiJack »

... and its solution (also with explanation): https://blogs.wsj.com/puzzle/crossword/ ... -37759.pdf
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

To me, it's amusing when people keep thinking they are being pageant-ed on later puzzles. To me, the submissions of "College Bowls", or the like were just a guess, because it wasn't a 100% solution - If the answer really was "bowl", or similar, there should have been that extra click that tied it to the puzzle title.

In the "Play Grounds" puzzle, you needed to know where the bowl games were being held, the "grounds" part of the title. Had you noticed that, you would have all the letters for pageant, which is a contest. "bowl" or "college bowl" didn't tie back into the title, and wasn't spelled out from other things found in the grid and/or clues.

So now when an "easy" meta comes along, people are afraid there's another step, when they have already taken the step and they SHOULD be 100% certain. If the "easy" answer is either spelled out, or ties in neatly with the puzzle's title, stop worrying!
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
PastWSJCCsolutions

Post by PastWSJCCsolutions »

20171229 WSJCC Play Grounds - PAGEANTED.gif
boharr

Post by boharr »

Not February "29" 2017, but December 29, 2017, right?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:12 pm Not February "29" 2017, but December 29, 2017, right?
Correct! I'll fix it. Thank you.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
boharr

Post by boharr »

If only I could spot metas as easily!!