Muggles In The News - MUST READ!!

This is a place to learn about the Muggles community and some of the terminology we use. It also contains suggested strategies for solving meta crosswords, as well as a repository of all past WSJ crossword contests and solutions.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Muggles In The News - MUST READ!!

Post by Bob cruise director »

We have made the big time. Two articles about us from the WSJ

This one is by Matt Gaffney on meta contests and the muggles

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fried-brai ... ge=1&pos=1

And a month or so ago, one of the young WSJ writers Taylor Nakagawa interviewed some of us. This is his article on the WSJ+

https://www.wsjplus.com/articles/meet-the-muggles
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:37 pm We have made the big time. Two articles about us from the WSJ

And a month or so ago, one of the young WSJ writers Taylor Nakagawa interviewed some of us. This is his article on the WSJ+

This today as well: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/book ... aphel.html
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:37 pm We have made the big time. Two articles about us from the WSJ

At the end of the Taylor Nakagawa article is a crossword by Matt entitled "Hanging Out With Isaac". I'm printing it out now. I believe it’s a puzzle just for us, but sadly no meta.
Last edited by Meg on Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
David R

Post by David R »

Y'all are like legit celebrities, also found out that there is someone keeping an account of every mug winner which I'm not sure if that reassures or worries me.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I've heard there are tracking devices in the mugs, want to give yours up?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

If you can not see the link to today's WSJ article, I put it in my dropbox account in a pdf

The link is https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w8qhjtzpn86t ... PYVBa?dl=0
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Not sure what happened to multiple posts showing this article, another about The Crossword Contest & muggles, as well as a Muggles crossword, but all three are posted in the Acapulco Lounge:

Fried-Brain Fridays: The Journal’s Contest Crosswords and Their Die-Hard Solvers
Meet the Muggles, who regularly decipher how Vanna White, Oscar envelopes and the letters ROY G BIV lead to that elusive contest mug
By Matt Gaffney
March 18, 2020 2:23 pm ET

Meet the Muggles
WSJ’s crossword community share stories of obsession over the weekly contest and its prized mug
Taylor Nakagawa
Audience Voice reporter
March 6, 2020 12:01 AM ET

WSJ's special edition WSJ Muggles crossword puzzle.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

the article in today's WSJ (paper copy) - impressive amount of space dedicated to ... crazy people!?!?!
jakenherman

Post by jakenherman »

I didn't know about this community until picking up the paper today and I'm very glad I was informed. This sounds like such an interesting group to be a part of, so I'm looking forward to tomorrow's paper so I can try my hand at my first contest 8-)
Here's to hoping I'll one day be confident enough to solve in pen. ;)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

jakenherman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:03 pm I didn't know about this community until picking up the paper today and I'm very glad I was informed. This sounds like such an interesting group to be a part of, so I'm looking forward to tomorrow's paper so I can try my hand at my first contest 8-)
Welcome to the group. The contest will show up at wsj.com today (Thursday) just after 4 pm. Good luck and truly "think outside the box". Look at some of the Past Crosswords and the Hints topics for approaches to solving these types of contests.

Again, welcome to the group
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yes, welcome.

the first rule of Meta puzzles is we ... TALK ALOT about meta puzzles.

This ain't no fight club here.

:)
jakenherman

Post by jakenherman »

Tom, Bob - Thanks for the warm greetings. I got the paper this morning, so I'm looking forward to solving this week's puzzle with my wife once we're done getting our work-from-home work done. :geek:
Here's to hoping I'll one day be confident enough to solve in pen. ;)
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Before posting this I clicked on the WSJ puzzle link and didn’t see “Hanging out with Isaac.” With apologies to all in case I missed it, the links and other related messages posted on this site seem to lead to the printable version only. I am prophylactically self-quarantined at the moment in a place without a printer. Is there a link to an online interactive version of Matt’s puzzle (by the way, my Across Lite program is strangely non-functional at the moment so that avenue wouldn’t work for me)?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Jazzvibist wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:59 pm Before posting this I clicked on the WSJ puzzle link and didn’t see “Hanging out with Isaac.” With apologies to all in case I missed it, the links and other related messages posted on this site seem to lead to the printable version only. I am prophylactically self-quarantined at the moment in a place without a printer. Is there a link to an online interactive version of Matt’s puzzle (by the way, my Across Lite program is strangely non-functional at the moment so that avenue wouldn’t work for me)?
As far as I know, there is no online option.

I was printer-less Wednesday, when I learned about the puzzle, but didn't have the patience to wait til I could print it. So I wrote out a grid on a blank sheet of paper. It's a pretty easy puzzle, so not too hard to do it that way.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Jazzvibist wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:59 pm Is there a link to an online interactive version of Matt’s puzzle (by the way, my Across Lite program is strangely non-functional at the moment so that avenue wouldn’t work for me)?
I've posted a link to a see-through PDF over Excel version, HERE - POST #112.

It is definitely not an online version & may be difficult to fill-in on a phone, but is easy enough to fill-in on a computer. Obviously, you need MS Excel. Click on a cell outside of the PDF, then use arrow keys to move from cell to cell.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

jakenherman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:43 pm Tom, Bob - Thanks for the warm greetings. I got the paper this morning, so I'm looking forward to solving this week's puzzle with my wife once we're done getting our work-from-home work done. :geek:
jakenherman
We do welcome you and your wife here. I did not include you as one of our new muggles because of two things 1) I generally don't until I get a posting of being on the ship or shore and 2) I forgot that you had posted in the Come Aboard section.

Get your "work from home work" done
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:03 pm
Jazzvibist wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:59 pm Before posting this I clicked on the WSJ puzzle link and didn’t see “Hanging out with Isaac.” With apologies to all in case I missed it, the links and other related messages posted on this site seem to lead to the printable version only. I am prophylactically self-quarantined at the moment in a place without a printer. Is there a link to an online interactive version of Matt’s puzzle (by the way, my Across Lite program is strangely non-functional at the moment so that avenue wouldn’t work for me)?

I was printer-less Wednesday, when I learned about the puzzle, but didn't have the patience to wait til I could print it. So I wrote out a grid on a blank sheet of paper. It's a pretty easy puzzle, so not too hard to do it that way.
Thanks a lot for your post, Barb. I am not proficient with ExCel and, despite Joe Ross’ ingenious effort, I couldn’t get started so I am going to pass that option. Since you say it’s a pretty easy puzzle, I am going to do a first for me - look at the grid on my screen and try to fill it out virtually in its entirety, relying on my memory for the answers.
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:26 pm
Jazzvibist wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:59 pm Is there a link to an online interactive version of Matt’s puzzle (by the way, my Across Lite program is strangely non-functional at the moment so that avenue wouldn’t work for me)?
I've posted a link to a see-through PDF over Excel version, HERE - POST #112.

It is definitely not an online version & may be difficult to fill-in on a phone, but is easy enough to fill-in on a computer. Obviously, you need MS Excel. Click on a cell outside of the PDF, then use arrow keys to move from cell to cell.
Thanks so much Joe. I can’t seem to get any cells filled in so I will try a different approach (see my response to Barb Koehler).
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Jazzvibist wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:35 pm Thanks so much Joe. I can’t seem to get any cells filled in so I will try a different approach (see my response to Barb Koehler).
The linked copy is read only. Try saving under a slightly different name on your computer, first.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Jazzvibist wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:34 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks a lot for your post, Barb. I am not proficient with ExCel and, despite Joe Ross’ ingenious effort, I couldn’t get started so I am going to pass that option. Since you say it’s a pretty easy puzzle, I am going to do a first for me - look at the grid on my screen and try to fill it out virtually in its entirety, relying on my memory for the answers.
Just finished it virtually - and it was easy enough because of the simplicity of the grid itself. Loved the inside references (and likely missed one or more). What a nice gift from MG.