Etiquette of Posting on Page 1 of the WSJ Thread

This is a place to learn about the Muggles community and some of the terminology we use. It also contains suggested strategies for solving meta crosswords, as well as a repository of all past WSJ crossword contests and solutions.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Etiquette of Posting on Page 1 of the WSJ Thread

Post by BrianMac »

The number of posts that appear on any single page of a thread is arbitrarily set to 20. Since we started the forum in April 2019, it has become something of a source of pride to some members to announce themselves "on shore" on Page 1 of each week's WSJ thread. In order to make Page 1, you need to be one of the first 19 posts in the thread (Post #1 being Bob's post starting the thread).

During one of the weekly Tuesday Muggle Zoom calls, it became (half) jokingly known as a "Page One Encroachment" - or POE - to post something on Page 1 other than announcing you are on shore, because this takes up one of the coveted 19 spots that the fastest solvers are vying for.

As a result, it has come to be considered "bad form" to post on Page 1 of the WSJ threads, unless you are announcing yourself on shore. It is not against the rules, however, and POEs will not be edited or removed by the moderators (absent obvious abuse or nefarious intent). Page 2 usually starts within 30-40 minutes after the thread has started, so if you really can't wait that long to let everyone know what you had for breakfast, then post away, but be aware that you shall forever be known as a POEcher, there will be a pox on your house, and you will probably not get into Heaven.
Last edited by Abide on Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: misspelling of Etiquette was bugging me
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Why not just set the number of page one posts to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807?

Then POEs will happen ... nevermore ;)
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
docison

Post by docison »

I'm just disappointed that the term was not trademarked as Page One Sniping. I will leave it to the puerile among us to understand why.
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

Question on page 1 etiquette: Is it acceptable to post as soon as you figure out the answer, or is it preferred that you wait until you have submitted your answer to WSJ? I know this is just a matter of a minute or so, but that could be enough to affect page one status.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

clonefitz wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:45 am Question on page 1 etiquette: Is it acceptable to post as soon as you figure out the answer, or is it preferred that you wait until you have submitted your answer to WSJ? I know this is just a matter of a minute or so, but that could be enough to affect page one status.
As soon as you know the answer.

Do not pass Go. Do not finish grid. Do not submit answer.
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

Got it, thanks!