New Daily Washington Post Mini-Meta

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
mokelfish

New Daily Washington Post Mini-Meta

Post by mokelfish »

Looks cool!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crosswor ... mini-meta/

"Welcome to The Washington Post's Mini Meta by Pete Muller and Andrew White. The Mini Meta is two puzzles in one. First, you solve a 5x5 mini puzzle each day, Monday through Saturday. Once you're done, you can tackle a special meta puzzle that ties the six minis together and reveals a whole new dimension to the week. Search for an answer word from the Monday through Friday puzzles that, strung together, will give you a clue to the meta answer embedded in the Saturday mini."
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

mokelfish wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:47 pm Search for an answer word from the Monday through Friday puzzles that, strung together, will give you a clue to the meta answer embedded in the Saturday mini."
Pete Muller hinted at this as part of his MMMM wrap-up last year, offering a sample puzzle for folks to try. As noted - take one of the entries from each of the daily puzzles to form a clue/hint to the final answer. That answer is then hidden "boggle-style" in the grid of the Saturday puzzle. Well, not quite boggle-style as you only move orthogonally from letter to letter.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

These are fun. I test solved for him a few months ago.
Hector

Post by Hector »

These take more time to navigate to than to solve. I have a guess for tomorrow's meta (since Pete's on the job, it could always be a red herring, though).

Edit: nope, it was correct. Interestingly Mullerian concept, mini-mega-metas.
Last edited by Hector on Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I correctly identified the five words ahead of time, but the Saturday mini took me about twice as long as usual. And it's difficult to highlight the meta answer snake-style with your finger when your phone screen keeps moving up or down.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Easy all the way, including the meta. Great idea by Peter!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I test solved awhile back and really enjoyed them. A nice chewy bite of a meta.
Heidi
ricky

Post by ricky »

Has Andrew White published puzzles anywhere else? I was a little taken aback to see a college student on Twitter saying "oh BTW I have a daily meta crossword in the Washington Post now."
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Solved this weeks mini-meta. I really like these puzzles. Great idea by Peter.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I got the clue, but forgot the mechanism for finding the answer. Next week!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Hey! I finally won a cup! :D
boharr

Post by boharr »

Darn. I did all the daily minis but them today clicked on the wrong thing and inadvertantly revealed the answer(s). I thought I was just "trying the meta" but maybe I read the directions incorrectly.
mokelfish

Post by mokelfish »

Could not get last week's, and then stared at this week's for awhile and got nowhere until it finally jumped out at me right when I thought it was hopeless :)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

This week's (March 15-20) mini-meta was also fun. I see, though, that I can simply wait until Saturday to do the whole week's thing on a single sheet, in one sitting. Which is probably what I'll do in the future.

Then again ...

Maybe part of the fun can be in seeing how many days it takes to guess what Pete is after. (Duh! I know, I can be so dense.) If I remember, I'll try that next week.
Hector

Post by Hector »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:30 am This week's (March 15-20) mini-meta was also fun. I see, though, that I can simply wait until Saturday to do the whole week's thing on a single sheet, in one sitting. Which is probably what I'll do in the future.

Then again ...

Maybe part of the fun can be in seeing how many days it takes to guess what Pete is after. (Duh! I know, I can be so dense.) If I remember, I'll try that next week.
You can do both.

I've guessed right based on M-F so far, though in all cases there have been solid alternative answers.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I've been doing and enjoying these also.
But this AM I wondered why I wasn't being awarded the loving cup when I finished ---finally realized I hadn't clicked correctly --"One for down, two for across" (Thank you Paul Revere?) -- resulting in a rather strange M - F readout. Sort of like Mad Libs. :D Quickly corrected!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Based on my line of work, I have a strong suspicion as to what the Mon/Tue/Wed words are this week. 😁

Update: Yup. Kind of advanced, in my opinion.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

C=64 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:21 pm Based on my line of work, I have a strong suspicion as to what the Mon/Tue/Wed words are this week. 😁

Update: Yup. Kind of advanced, in my opinion.
I believe I know your line of work. It was my wife's too. (She retired five years ago.) In fact, she fits the clues EXACTLY.

I suspect you may work at a higher level.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I've been playing these all along and enjoying them. They provide a fun little bit of entertainment and rhythm to my day and I've given them some positive feedback since it's still in test mode.

Folks from New England (and Tampa) might want to try this week's. -- Just sayin' :D