Out of Left Field - Puzzle #40 (cryptic)

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
damefox

Out of Left Field - Puzzle #40 (cryptic)

Post by damefox »

If anyone is a fan of cryptic crosswords, you should definitely check out Out of Left Field. The constructors used to publish the cryptic in The Nation, but that was discontinued earlier this year, and they moved their work to Patreon. They've stepped into the realm of metas with their latest puzzle, #40, published today. (The puzzles don't have titles.) There's no prize, and as far as I can tell there isn't even a place they want subscribers to submit an answer, but still I thought I'd share. It's a great year to resolve to start doing cryptics, if you don't already! :D
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I just did this puzzle. Terrific! I've subscribed. I hope they include more metas in 2021.

Happy New Year, all!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

As a cryptic fan, I’ve been a subscriber for a while. Nice to see that these guys can also do a fine meta. Yes, more please.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I've subscribed and liked this very much! I did need help with several of the entries. But this was the first time I tried a puzzle by these constructors and I think I just need to get my sea legs with their style...

Do they always provide the solution pdf at the same time they post the puzzle? As a person of little willpower (I can resist anything but temptation!), I was a bit perturbed when I realized this. Fortunately I did not notice that the solution was posted until after I struggled with the puzzle for an evening :lol: But on second thought, I think I like having that available when needed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Yes, that is their usual distribution. Furthermore, there is a Monday debrief post discussion any clues that received the most comments. Again, with a warning not to read unless you don’t mind spoilers.