Crossword Skills

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
SReh26

Crossword Skills

Post by SReh26 »

Do crosswords sharpen skills you use in daily life or do you consider them mere recreation?
Last edited by SReh26 on Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I was just thinking about that today. I'm not sure about crosswords alone, but the added challenge of meta-puzzles and cryptic crosswords I think are helpful for me to keep my mind sharp. I'm one of many EEs on this forum, and I think some of us gravitate towards these types of puzzles because it helps both critical and creative thinking in a problem-solving environment.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Good points- I’m sure it helps preserve memory and retain all those wonderful words we’ve learned over the years. And I like the feeling of accomplishing a challenging short term task - especially in the WFH environment of online shopping, home deliveries and quick wikipedia answers to most questions.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

joequavis wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:14 pm I was just thinking about that today. I'm not sure about crosswords alone, but the added challenge of meta-puzzles and cryptic crosswords I think are helpful for me to keep my mind sharp. I'm one of many EEs on this forum, and I think some of us gravitate towards these types of puzzles because it helps both critical and creative thinking in a problem-solving environment.
Oh originally I thought you meant employees, buy you mean engineers, don’t you?
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Sorry yes Electrical Engineer. Our esteemed cruise director was also an EE, and I recall a few others mentioning the same.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm another EE! I'm hopeful that crosswording will help to keep my mind sharp as I continue to get older. But mostly I just like puzzles :-)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Laura M wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:55 pm I'm another EE! I'm hopeful that crosswording will help to keep my mind sharp as I continue to get older. But mostly I just like puzzles :-)
Me too, I just like puzzles - and I find I’m getting much more confident completing grids, since they have become the “easy” part! My dad studied Mechanical Engineering at the University of Toronto.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Another EE here, though I look forward to being an EE, retired, so that I'll have more time for meta-puzzles and fishing.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.