Between Crossword Puzzles

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

SReh26 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:03 pm
MikeyG wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:00 pm Various things I love to do (your mileage may vary!)

1. I subscribed to the newspaper three times a week during the pandemic - the actual, journalism-in-your-hands newspaper - and it has now become an integral part of my routine.

2. Reading! I am a voracious reader and set a record of 35 books last year and hoping to get to 48 this year.

3. Music/walking/podcasts - any mix of these seems to motivate me.

4. Other puzzles! I'm a big fan of logic problems and other math brainteasers and try to do those when the moment arises.

5. Rooting on the Cubbies with my parents! Not sure if you're a sports fan or not, but this is always a great centerpiece to our day (when they actually score some runs, hahaha.)

Mikey G
Thank you! Where do you find the logic problems? Id like to try those. Also, any books you recommend? I’m enjoying all the free time in quarantine.

Check out the Youtube channel "Cracking the Cryptic" (despite the name it's almost all about sudoku). If you're like me you'll enter a rabbit hole you'll never get out of.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

SReh26 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:03 pm
MikeyG wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:00 pm Various things I love to do (your mileage may vary!)

1. I subscribed to the newspaper three times a week during the pandemic - the actual, journalism-in-your-hands newspaper - and it has now become an integral part of my routine.

2. Reading! I am a voracious reader and set a record of 35 books last year and hoping to get to 48 this year.

3. Music/walking/podcasts - any mix of these seems to motivate me.

4. Other puzzles! I'm a big fan of logic problems and other math brainteasers and try to do those when the moment arises.

5. Rooting on the Cubbies with my parents! Not sure if you're a sports fan or not, but this is always a great centerpiece to our day (when they actually score some runs, hahaha.)

Mikey G
Thank you! Where do you find the logic problems? Id like to try those. Also, any books you recommend? I’m enjoying all the free time in quarantine.
The ones I subscribe to are here: https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/logic-math/. When I was younger, Penny Press was considered the slightly easier version of Dell, but they merged, as oft happens, several years ago!

As a result, I feared that Penny Press's puzzles would be too easy as a result - and while they start off easy, they get harder, and you definitely have to use your mettle for some later in the book!

I loved Celeste Ng's Little Fires Everywhere (her second), so much I'm reading her debut - and it's just as good. Usually, perhaps paradoxically, if I read something I really like from one author, I'm hesitant to read anything else, fearing I won't enjoy it as much! Other ones that come to mind I've really enjoyed over the years, from a mix of genres, are To Kill a Mockingbird (rightful classic), Wonder (beloved middle-grade), Invisible Man (brilliant, soaring writing), The Kite Runner (wonderful coming-of-age story), the original Winnie the Pooh (so hilarious and warm), and The Art of Racing in the Rain (the warm book I read in 2015 that catapulted me back into a love of literature). :)

Mike
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!