Spelling Bee!

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
FrankieHeck

Spelling Bee!

Post by FrankieHeck »

Just a reminder to all you word-lovers out there...the final rounds of the Scripps National Spelling Bee will be live on ESPN tonight at 8:30 pm. Those kids are just amazing! Watching it has been an end-of-the-school-year tradition at our house, and my almost-20-year old is heading over to watch it with me tonight. Maybe he'll stick around and help me with the NYT puzzle when it ends.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I watched a bit of it tonight... holy crap, these kids are amazing!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I watched some last night, but not the end. I checked this morning. 8 co-champions! I like the guy who reads the words and definitions.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Meg wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:58 am I watched some last night, but not the end. I checked this morning. 8 co-champions! I like the guy who reads the words and definitions.
Yes, I've always wanted Jacques Bailly to come over and read me a bedtime story! The ending of the bee was crazy. When they announced that anyone who made it through three more rounds would be co-champion, I was so nervous for those kids. I just wonder if the bee's days are numbered. The kids just seem to be able to spell everything.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

There was a lot of complaining about having eight co winners however the organizers said that none of the words that they had left would challenge any of these kids.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Check out this puzzle:

https://chriswords.com/

I had a hard time with it, even with crossing words.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Something I never thought about: I read somewhere that English is the only language that has spelling bees. All the other languages have great consistency in spelling out sounds.
For what do we live but to make sport for our neighbours and laugh at them in our turn?
- Mr Bennet