New Section for Cryptics?

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
BrianMac
Site Admin

New Section for Cryptics?

Post by BrianMac »

I see from various comments across the board that a lot of people are fans of cryptics, which is not a surprise. I stay away from them since the few I've tried made me want to punch a hole in the wall. :evil: But for those smarter and braver than me, is there any interest in a section of the board devoted to these puzzles? I am not trying to discourage you from discussing them anywhere else, but a dedicated space might make it easier to have meaningful discussion.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I think that's a great idea. Since there’s no contest, it could be a great place to ask for/ give help with clues.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Great idea! I’m in! Just completed the latest Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon puzzle from the weekend after being away picking up my son from college.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Add my vote for a cryptic section! I wish I could say that I have finished this last one, but I am still plugging away at it. I thought I had finally gotten to where I could do one without any help. I have been doing them without help for several months now. I blame " my all-consuming project" for my slowness of mind lately. Three weeks from now I will have to come up with another excuse.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Meg wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:33 pm I think that's a great idea. Since there’s no contest, it could be a great place to ask for/ give help with clues.
I agree, maybe stick with the old unwritten rule of hints and support, but no actual answers for a couple of days after puzzle comes out. Then more detailed help on Monday (assuming that the topic of is the WSJ cryptic) Puzzles from other sources, I guess, would have a different schedule.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Good idea.

My first exposure to cryptics was while traveling in the UK. I was lucky to figure out half the entries, but loved the challenge. Cox and Rathvon (and others) have taken cryptics to a new level by replacing the traditional “lattice” grid and adding meta elements. I am blown away by the work they do.
Jack Sullivan