Who & What are on Your Playlist?

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
Joe Ross

Who & What are on Your Playlist?

Post by Joe Ross »

A recent topic - starting here - had several recommendations for music & artists, which sent too many of us plumbing the depths of YouTubeville, as if it were a Gaffney Week 5 offering of rabbit holes.

An artist I recommended, Jennel Garcia, has a new release, her cover of Billie English's Therefore I Am.

Please enjoy and post your recommendations of any & all of your favorite songs & artists.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

My musical tastes are pretty mainstream top 40s, but they span a lot of years. Here are a few of my favorites that I have in regular rotation right now, no particular order:

Moody Blues - The Story in Your Eyes, Your Wildest Dreams
Moxy Fruvous - Fly, The King of Spain, My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors
Styx - Sing for the Day, Don't Let it End, The Best of Times
Coldplay - Viva la Vida
Crosby, Stills, and Nash - Teach Your Children, Southern Cross, Wasted on the Way
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Even Now
Billy Joel - Pressure
Sara MacLachlan - Adia
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
Chicago - Just You 'N' Me, Hard to Say I'm Sorry
The Monkees - I'll Be Back Up On My Feet
Jonathan Coulton - Code Monkey
Dave Matthews Band - So Much To Say
ELO - Mr Blue Sky
The Cyrkle - Red Rubber Ball
The Vogues - Five O'Clock World
Elvis Costello - Veronica, What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding
Paul Simon - Kodachrome

I like many other artists and many other songs by these artists, but I can get burned out if I don't switch it up sometimes :-)
C=64

Post by C=64 »

We got a Google Home or Google Nest or something (our 16 year old had the idea and was sneaking around at 3AM on Xmas setting it up) and I've been saying "Hey Google, play the album [variable] by Neil Young" quite a bit. And she replies in her Australian accent "Sure; playing the album [variable] on Spotify."

I mention this because this week's MMM, Lost in Space, shares a title with a song off NY's album Hawks and Doves. (I bought the record used for I think two bucks, which has been one of the best entertainment values in my life.) Side 1 is almost entirely solo Neil, side 2 is kinda hoedown, honky tonk, two-beat, pedal steel guitar & fiddle stuff.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Okay, I'm gonna list just three:

1. Snarky Puppy - "Lingus" here . Starts out easy, ends up driving and you won't even know how it/you got there. Pay special attention to Cory Henry's unbelievable keyboards solo starting at 4:15.

2. Tommy Emmanuel - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" here. . What he does with 6 strings, especially at the end, can't be done. He has other great stuff; I recommend you check out his Beatles medley... where he plays the chords, bass and melody... all at the same time.

3. Tranquility - "Silver" Here. Quite possibly the best unknown band ever. This song again starts slow (and beautiful] and ends up cooking. So many movements, it could have been a symphony.

So many more, including from our hometown boy, Joe Bonnamassa.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I gave up Sirius XM in my car and have been listening to the same Radical Face CD for the past month or two with no regrets.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 pm Okay, I'm gonna list just three:

2. Tommy Emmanuel - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" here. . What he does with 6 strings, especially at the end, can't be done. He has other great stuff; I recommend you check out his Beatles medley... where he plays the chords, bass and melody... all at the same time.
Maybe 10 years ago, I was called by a fellow parishioner asking me to help out at a concert she had set up at the high school from which my 6 sisters were graduated. The school has a very nice 1,000 seat auditorium. The concert was a moneymaker for my kids' elementary school. From those connections, I wasn't expecting much. I'd seen a lot of amateur theater & music in this venue. All of it good, but, you know.

I arrived early and was told that I would be working 'security' for the concert, along with several other not small men from the parish. This was before the days of easy online and credit card sales for one-time events. The concert was set-up last-minute because somebody knew someone who was able to snag the artist while he was nearby. The tickets sold out almost as soon as the show was announced, allowing, with the artist's gracious permission, an added concert the next night.

With so much cash on hand and the fear that there'd be a decent number of people hoping to walk-in & purchase tickets, the folks running the show wanted to be sure that they had enough ambassadors on hand to be sure that the events ran smoothly. They did and once the concerts started & the money was off to the bank, we were welcome to stand at the back of the auditorium.

The artist was Tommy Emmanuel.

I'd never heard of the man and was completely amazed and thrilled by his awesome talent. An incredibly nice man, he spoke easily with the crowd, was warm & humorous, and took requests discussing many aspects of the music he was playing. The concert attendees were obvious fans, some traveling from a state or two away to hear him play. I've never seen that many well-deserved, spontaneous standing ovations for single songs. Tommy played a good half-hour beyond the time allotted both performances.

If you get the opportunity, be early to secure your seat. It will be one of the best evenings of your life.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Recently had this randomized playlist for my morning walk. It was a good walk:

-Skake It Up (The Cars)

-In The Mood (Glenn Miller)

-The Tide Is High (Blondie)

-Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (The Shirelles)

-Bad To The Bone (George Thorogood & The Destroyers)

-Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)

-The Needle And The Damage Done (Neil Young)

-Eternal Flame (The Bangles)

-Daft Punk (Pentatonix)

-On And On (Stephen Bishop)

-Black Betty (Ram Jam)

-Blister In The Sun (Violent Femmes)

-Love Shack (The B-52s)

-Let's Dance (Benny Goodman)

-The Boys Are Back In Town (Thin Lizzy)

-Already Gone (Eagles)

BTW, not today's walk. Today is a snow day 'round these parts:

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Thank you for introducing me to Tommy Emanuel. I was blown away
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Here is what my playlist would look like if I had a playlist. Kudos to Laura on the choice of Red Rubber Ball (co written by Paul Simon):

Wonโ€™t Get Fooled Again-Who
Only the Good Die Young-Billy Joel
The Times They Are A-Changin-Dylan
Born to Run-Springsteen
RiverDeep-Mountain High-Ike and Tina
Solitary Man-Neil Diamond
Truckin-The Dead
Paradise By The Dashboard Light-Meat Loaf
Small Circle of Friends-Phil Ochs
Cara Mia-Jay and The Americans
Big Yellow Taxi-Joni Mitchell
Amazing Grace-Judy Collins
My Way-Frank Sinatra
Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien-Edith Piaf
Unchained Melody-The Righteous Brothers
Runaround Sue-Dion
MTA-Kingston Trio
Blowin In The Wind-Dylan
Sympathy For The Devil-Stones
Sink The Bismarck-Johnny Horton
The Boxer-Simon and Garfunkel
Bohemian Rhapsody-Queen
Piece Of My Heart-Janis Joplin
Ballad Of John And Yoko-Beatles
Red Rubber Ball-Cyrkle
Hector

Post by Hector »

Right now really enjoying this radio station. But you can explore...

http://radio.garden/visit/kankan/spKm5FFp
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Is it considered a cover by Home Free, if the original artist, Don McLean, is featured?

A new take on American Pie.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

I have several categories of very utilitarian playlists: one for quarantine cardio, one for getting ready for my morning commute, remember those?, and one for relaxed weekends.

Morning commute prep includes: Everyoneโ€˜s a Winner, Just Enough for the City, Taking Care of Business (Overdrive), I Got Work To Do, Sheโ€™s the Boss, You Did It!, Lovely Day, Highway to Hell, Donโ€™t Leave Me This Way, Sweetest Hangover, and Davon Geht die Welt Nicht Unter.

Quarantine Cardio includes everything from 1940s/50s (Andrews Sisters, Lou Monte, Chuck Berry, Elvis) to Beach Boys Kokomo, West Side Story, to Yello Bostich Ancient Remix, to Falcoโ€™s Helden von Heute (Todays Heroes), Big in Japan, to Ntranceโ€˜s Version of Stayin Alive.

Relaxed Weekends (or trying to relax) includes California Dreaming, Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkel and lots of Marlene Dietrich, especially her lesser known stuff- listen to Wenn ich Mir Was Wuenschen Wuerde and lmk what you think. Itโ€˜s about urban alienation in prewar Europe.

Make of this what you will and enjoy your weekend.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

My wife and I made playlists for a driving trip we just returned from. I concentrated mine on stuff we both like along with stuff that likely wouldn't annoy her. Here's about 300 songs and I could easily add another 300 if I put in some effort. Hit the shuffle button. :)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3qZYQ ... =copy-link
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

MikeM000 wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:25 am My wife and I made playlists for a driving trip we just returned from. I concentrated mine on stuff we both like along with stuff that likely wouldn't annoy her. Here's about 300 songs and I could easily add another 300 if I put in some effort. Hit the shuffle button. :)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3qZYQ ... =copy-link
Wow, I just scanned through and saw so many favorites. GBV, Big Star, Sugar, โ€˜Mats...
Look forward to listening.
Only one Belle & Sebastian song, though? ๐Ÿ˜†
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Dannyvee wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:08 am
Wow, I just scanned through and saw so many favorites. GBV, Big Star, Sugar, โ€˜Mats...
Look forward to listening.
Only one Belle & Sebastian song, though? ๐Ÿ˜†
Ha! In my defense, a lot of it was copied over from a workout playlist. There will be more added and I'm sure they'll be included. GBV is pretty much the biggest constant in my life the past 27 years or so. This --------------------------------------------------------> is a Bob Pollard collage piece in fact.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Happy to have run across Lucy Thomas (& her sister, Martha), finally.

Too sappy? Lucy was 17 years old when she nailed an Etta James classic.

& because I'm down this rabbit hole, today: