any kinitters out there?

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
FrankieHeck

any kinitters out there?

Post by FrankieHeck »

I put off asking for my kids' Christmas lists too long, and I forgot what sort of bizarre things they ask for. The suggestion I received for one of the boy's girlfriends is "a guinea pig sweater." I thought he meant an ugly sweater with a guinea pig on it, but a quick google led me to ask him to clarify, and he did indeed mean a sweater for a guinea pig. And she actually has three.

So then I went to Etsy, but the best ones I found are shipping from the UK, and it's too late for that. I can knit a little, though I sort of have to relearn every time I pick it up. But out of desperation I just spent a dollar on a pattern from Ravelry. I'm going to run out and buy some yarn and start this damn thing, but I KNOW I'm going to run into trouble because I'm not sure how to divide into front and back for the armholes....

Anyway, just thought I'd see if there are any pros out there who might be willing to be on call to Google Meet me when I get to that point and need to be walked through a few steps. I'm sure it will be frustrating and awful for everyone involved. Any takers? :lol:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Yes, I knit, and yes I’d be happy to help. Not sure I’m your best bet as I’ve never really even taught in person, never mind over video. I learned 50 years ago - an elementary school teacher got me started and then I had a couple books.

But if you don’t get any better offers, or if your better offers are off line when you need it, let me know.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:44 am Yes, I knit, and yes I’d be happy to help. Not sure I’m your best bet as I’ve never really even taught in person, never mind over video. I learned 50 years ago - an elementary school teacher got me started and then I had a couple books.

But if you don’t get any better offers, or if your better offers are off line when you need it, let me know.
Thanks, Barbara! At the rate I'm going, I should be needing help in approximately June :D
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:56 am > I KNOW I'm going to run into trouble because I'm not sure how to divide into front and back for the armholes....

Hey! Guinea pigs have feelings too! You shoul... What? Oh, *arm*holes. Never mind.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:49 am
FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:56 am > I KNOW I'm going to run into trouble because I'm not sure how to divide into front and back for the armholes....

Hey! Guinea pigs have feelings too! You shoul... What? Oh, *arm*holes. Never mind.
Thank you, Emily Litella.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Guinea pigs like to self groom and a sweater might impede that process. I’m sure both you and the Guinea pig would be happier with a gift of a nice selection of Guinea pig food.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

oldjudge wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:37 pm Guinea pigs like to self groom and a sweater might impede that process. I’m sure both you and the Guinea pig would be happier with a gift of a nice selection of Guinea pig food.
Agreed, but I think this is likely just for a 30-second photo op. Which makes me question my sanity.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I’m sure you saw that Petco sells Guinea Pig sweaters, but they are currently out of stock. Amazon has some matching hat and scarf combos for the fashion conscious GP and I ‘m sure you can get a fur wrap for the GP with no conscience.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

oldjudge wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:33 pm I’m sure you saw that Petco sells Guinea Pig sweaters, but they are currently out of stock. Amazon has some matching hat and scarf combos for the fashion conscious GP and I ‘m sure you can get a fur wrap for the GP with no conscience.
Oh I know...but I feel like I have to make up for lack of both quantity and quality of her gifts with lots of blood, sweat, and tears...