Boswords 2020 Fall Themeless League

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
damefox

Boswords 2020 Fall Themeless League

Post by damefox »

https://www.boswords.org/

Is anyone doing this? Should be fun! I keep meaning to sign up, but I'm torn between whether to do the Stormy or the Choppy division. I want to challenge myself, but also I don't want the puzzles to be so hard that I have no fun. And this is happening on Mondays at 9pm ET, which is not traditionally when my crossword-solving skills are at their sharpest.
Hector

Post by Hector »

9pm Mondays *Eastern*? I guess they really want it to be a Boston club.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Oof, don't try doing the sample puzzle on your phone.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I've been meaning to post about this. I also keep meaning to sign up but haven't yet. I will probably go for the middle division. It would be cool if we could make a team or a sub-league somehow.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Ooh, maybe. Just tried the Stormy sample puzzle and it took me 35 minutes, so I guess that's out of my depth. I do like a challenge though.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Hector wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:45 am 9pm Mondays *Eastern*? I guess they really want it to be a Boston club.
9 ET is 6 PT, so works for me :-) I guess they want it to be after work, across the country.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Laura M wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:25 pm
Hector wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:45 am 9pm Mondays *Eastern*? I guess they really want it to be a Boston club.
9 ET is 6 PT, so works for me :-) I guess they want it to be after work, across the country.
I'll just pretend I wasn't getting that backwards.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Signed up in the Choppy division! There's a 20-minute time limit, so Stormy is out for me...
burak

Post by burak »

I'm sticking to what the instructions say: I finish the Friday and Saturday puzzles under 20 minutes about half of the time so I registered in Choppy. But you can change divisions during the season if you think it's too easy or too hard.
damefox

Post by damefox »

The NYT Crossword site is telling me my average time for Fridays is around 11 min, and for Saturdays it's 14 min, so I sucked it up and registered for the Stormy division. The FAQ says that you can switch divisions in the middle if you want, so I think I'll try to give it 3 weeks and then reevaluate. "Preseason" puzzle is this Wednesday! Get excited!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Don't forget the practice puzzle is tonight at 9:15 (I almost forgot). I ended up registering for the Stormy division for the same reasons as damefox (guidance on the website about average NYT times). Don't wait until the last minute to check it out because there is a registration process if you didn't do the tournament they ran this summer.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I am definitely switching to the Choppy division!
damefox

Post by damefox »

That took me 18:05, one mistake. (Wtf is LATTE and wtf is LISLE? Actually I think I've seen LISLE before, but not LATTE. At least, not when it's clued as some strange art thing.) I think I'll stick it out for a couple weeks.

I've somehow convinced my poor boyfriend to do this with me - he's solving on his own in the Smooth division - and it took him 21 minutes even with me standing over his shoulder for the last 3. Actually my hovering might not have helped. Anyway, the takeaway is he's very nice to partake in this strange pastime with me.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

BrianMac wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:47 pm I am definitely switching to the Choppy division!
Choppy was no picnic either! But I did finish in under 20 minutes... with two words wrong (does that mean one letter wrong?).
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

damefox wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:59 pm That took me 18:05, one mistake. (Wtf is LATTE and wtf is LISLE? Actually I think I've seen LISLE before, but not LATTE. At least, not when it's clued as some strange art thing.) I think I'll stick it out for a couple weeks.
I got those with the easier clues in Choppy. My Natick was TONY ROMO/MOSELLE. I thought his last name was ROMA for some reason, and the down didn't help because geography.

BTW I saw your comment float by that you thought they were going to say (re constructing the puzzle) "Then it was March 20 and the world ended..." My thoughts exactly, but I don't have a Twitch account so thanks for voicing them :-)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

damefox wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:59 pm That took me 18:05, one mistake. (Wtf is LATTE and wtf is LISLE? Actually I think I've seen LISLE before, but not LATTE. At least, not when it's clued as some strange art thing.) I think I'll stick it out for a couple weeks.

I've somehow convinced my poor boyfriend to do this with me - he's solving on his own in the Smooth division - and it took him 21 minutes even with me standing over his shoulder for the last 3. Actually my hovering might not have helped. Anyway, the takeaway is he's very nice to partake in this strange pastime with me.
Hi. Will you tell us when you post a new puzzle please. I see that I missed one. Thanks!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I've gotten slower every time! 10:something, 13:something, and 17:something in Choppy. Are the puzzles getting harder or is it just me? (Good puzzles, no complaints except my performance!)
docison

Post by docison »

Putting this back at the top - Boswords fall 2021 league is starting next Monday, so register now if you have any interest! These are themeless puzzles, which makes them a bit different from typical tournament puzzles - but with one puzzle a week, which can be completed at any point over several days, it's easier to manage than other tournament formats. And the puzzles are incredibly well-done with terrific constructors!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Thanks so much for posting this...I've always wanted to do a tournament but the "must be here at this time for this long" aspect has always kept me from signing up for one. I've bought their previous tourney packs and agree they are great puzzles!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I did the spring and fall leagues last year and agree that the puzzles are excellent, and it's also fun to hear from the constructors! But I struggled with whether to sign up again this year, and I think I've landed on "not." I'm usually fast enough (barely) to do the Choppy level within the 20-minute time limit, but really I'd be happier spending an hour figuring out a Stormy puzzle with no time pressure. I'll probably buy the puzzle pack, but I'll miss the Monday night Twitch stream.