Variations on a theme

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Very clever! So nice to have a bonus meta on top of that fabulous Q&A webinar.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Oh, that was so much fun! Thank you, Matt!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

...and then it hit me.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Got it! I co-solved this one. Haven't been doing that much lately since Matt lay down the solo-solve challenge :) But it's fun on occasion to work with a friend and see the ideas flowing back and forth.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:32 pm ...and then it hit me.
Thanks for the earworm, Al.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tAvug0Aoxk
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Struggling. What's new?
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Joepickett wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:04 pm Struggling. What's new?
I have got something.
Do not know how to proceed.
Stuck in rabbit hole.
TPS

Post by TPS »

0-2 this week. This one definitely isn’t happening either. After having a pretty good run of 6-7 after a very long bad streak I’m thinking I need a new hobby.

Thankfully Joe put me out of my misery.

I definitely hated Friday’s WSJCC more but this was a close second. Never would have solved either - 5 hours on each and not only was I not even close to the same zip code - I wasn’t even in the same galaxy.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Now this one I am not seeing, except for a rather obvious and appropriate thing.
But I am making no headway with that so far and am beginning to suspect crafty misdirection.
Once more unto.....
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Got the theme and variations (I think), but nothing past that. At least a few more days to play with it before the live cast to see if anything pops out at me.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I'm not making any headway either. Going to keep trying different tactics. Lots of time until Thursday.
Heidi
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:21 pm I'm not making any headway either. Going to keep trying different tactics. Lots of time until Thursday.
Heidi, you can get this. And there's a great, prolonged A-HA moment.
WLW.
TPS

Post by TPS »

TPS wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:22 pm I definitely hated Friday’s WSJCC more but this was a close second. Never would have solved either - 5 hours on each and not only was I not even close to the same zip code - I wasn’t even in the same galaxy.
There is a saying in sports - "Don't let one bad game get you two losses." Meaning don't be so frustrated by a loss that it costs you your next game as well. I think that was advice I should have heeded before doing this puzzle today.

I was still so frustrated by the WSJCC that I think I went into this puzzle with such a negative out look that I couldn't see anything but my first idea and even though I had parts of worked out - I was NEVER going to solve it with the attitude I had going in. There were some fairly obvious things I missed that I think I've noticed before in other puzzles.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Finally got this one! Cindy was kind enough to send it to me. What is this Q&A webinar?
TPS

Post by TPS »

damefox wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:18 am Finally got this one! Cindy was kind enough to send it to me. What is this Q&A webinar?
If you look on the Puzzles page of the WSJ there are links to two Q&A sessions with Matt & Mike. The first was last Thur where they went over basic puzzle construction techniques. You can watch a replay if you desire. The second is this Thur and will focus more on meta puzzle construction. This puzzle was created to go hand and hand with these events.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

ky-mike wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:54 pm Got the theme and variations (I think), but nothing past that. At least a few more days to play with it before the live cast to see if anything pops out at me.
I'm probably in the same place as you. I have what I think is the first part, but I can't figure out where to go from there. I've tried many things, but nothing's working.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Got it after chasing many rabbits and some help.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Like others, I've got the first part and it's definitely variations on a theme. But the only solution I can think of is a phrase that I come up with on my own and I know that can't be it because I can come up with variations of that phrase as well and I think the answer to these metas is usually only one possibility. (Sorry for that run on sentence.)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Finally got to this one. Excellent!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I found a few more rabbit holes, but nothing's working out. I don't know if it's a part of the solution, or just a coincidence.

I don't think I'm going to get this one without a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks Joe for giving me the nudge / spoiler. I had the right general idea, but I was missing one very critical part that I should have seen.