What are you watching..

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Happy Bosch Day to us!
Happy Bosch Day to us!
Happy BOSCH Day to u-us!
(Yes! It's today! This very day! I'm so excited! I hope you are, too...)
H A P P Y
B O S C H
D A Y
T O
uh - U U U U U S S!

(& Mandy Moore....)
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I didn't know what this was, Joe, until I read the review in the WSJ! To me, Bosch is a brand of appliances and tools; but what do I know, my significant other is an appliance repair guy!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wendy Walker wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:53 pm I didn't know what this was, Joe, until I read the review in the WSJ!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I enjoyed the new season of Bosch, but have to say the actress who plays Maddie really got on my nerves. In all the previous seasons, I enjoyed that character, but this season I could barely watch her. I donโ€™t know if it was her acting or the writing, but I just found her completely taxing.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

mkmf wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:28 pm
whimsy wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:09 pm
The Detectorists -- a couple of guys using metal detectors to look for treasure (but no, not a documentary.) That might sound like watching paint dry and to some extent it is -- very slow and gentle. Maybe Mister Rogers for adults. The first 10 minutes I thought the characters must be losers -- they kind of reminded me of carnies. But that only served to chasten me that things can be more than what they seem, or my first assumptions. Ended up just loving them all, and looking to promote them.
Whimsey - totally agree, The Detectorists is the best! I generally tell people to watch at least two episodes before they decide if they like it or not. And with some people I warn them that it might seem like the show is making fun of them but that it is not.
I'm also a fan of this show! Love the search for treasure and the interpersonal relationships! And Diana Rigg! Was able to borrow the DVDs from my local library!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Recommend Italian police drama Thou Shalt Not Kill, available online at PBS. I recorded 10 episodes it when it aired here on PBS NC, have watched four episodes so far (each story is 2 eps long). It takes place in Turin, lots of interpersonal drama for detective Valeria Ferro as well as crime solving. It's shown in Italian with subtitles.

Also Murdoch Mysteries, now airing on US cable channels Ion plus and Ovation, but also on Acorn. Fourteen seasons following detective William Murdoch of the Toronto Constabulary beginning in 1895. Murdoch is a forensic technician ahead of his time, uses science and tech to solve crimes. Sometimes it's Steampunk, occasionally it's science fiction, but it's always interesting. And even more fun, lots of famous people show up in guest roles: Nicola Tesla, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Alexander Graham Bell, Emma Goldman, Helen Keller, Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Jack London, Teddy Roosevelt, et al. Not sure it's documented that any of them actually visited Toronto, but I'll go with it! Season 15 premiers in Canada in September!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

This topic seems to have gone dormant so probably nobody will see this, but I wanted to mention that I followed up on @benchen71's recommendation in his "Talking to Camera" puzzle, and I watched the show Fleabag (Amazon Prime). Disclaimer that I nearly gave up after half an episode because I was irritated by the constant fourth-wall breaking, but by the end I loved all of it and wished there was more. So now I'm continuing to watch Phoebe Waller-Bridge in Crashing (Netflix), only one episode in but so far I'm enjoying that too.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Only Murders In The Building
The Gilded Age
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Annabelle wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:44 am Recommend Italian police drama Thou Shalt Not Kill, available online at PBS. I recorded 10 episodes it when it aired here on PBS NC, have watched four episodes so far (each story is 2 eps long). It takes place in Turin, lots of interpersonal drama for detective Valeria Ferro as well as crime solving. It's shown in Italian with subtitles.

Also Murdoch Mysteries, now airing on US cable channels Ion plus and Ovation, but also on Acorn. Fourteen seasons following detective William Murdoch of the Toronto Constabulary beginning in 1895. Murdoch is a forensic technician ahead of his time, uses science and tech to solve crimes. Sometimes it's Steampunk, occasionally it's science fiction, but it's always interesting. And even more fun, lots of famous people show up in guest roles: Nicola Tesla, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Alexander Graham Bell, Emma Goldman, Helen Keller, Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Jack London, Teddy Roosevelt, et al. Not sure it's documented that any of them actually visited Toronto, but I'll go with it! Season 15 premiers in Canada in September!
I second Murdoch Mysteries, it's really good
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

@whimsy and @Annabelle and other fans of The Detectorists:

The Detectorists is returning later this year! It will be a one-off 75 minute special. See:
https://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/content ... sts-return

I just finished a third viewing of the whole series again on Acorn. It had been several years between viewings, and the arc throughout the seasons remains such a delight. So glad there will be this added chance to see more of the DMDC!

Annabelle wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:18 am
mkmf wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:28 pm
whimsy wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:09 pm
The Detectorists -- a couple of guys using metal detectors to look for treasure (but no, not a documentary.) That might sound like watching paint dry and to some extent it is -- very slow and gentle. Maybe Mister Rogers for adults. The first 10 minutes I thought the characters must be losers -- they kind of reminded me of carnies. But that only served to chasten me that things can be more than what they seem, or my first assumptions. Ended up just loving them all, and looking to promote them.
Whimsey - totally agree, The Detectorists is the best! I generally tell people to watch at least two episodes before they decide if they like it or not. And with some people I warn them that it might seem like the show is making fun of them but that it is not.
I'm also a fan of this show! Love the search for treasure and the interpersonal relationships! And Diana Rigg! Was able to borrow the DVDs from my local library!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Thank you so much for that alert, @mkmf!
I'll definitely be watching out for it!

Hey, @ship4u -- do you folks know about this show? "English countryside!"
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:24 am
MikeMillerwsj wrote: โ†‘Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:31 pm Stay tuned for the winner...
What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Letterkenny
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I'm very much enjoying the terribly-named "Gaslit" on Starz. It's based on the 1st season of Slate's "Slow Burn" podcast which was built around the question "what was it like following Watergate while it was unfolding?" It stars Julia Roberts and Sean Penn as Martha & John Mitchell and they are supported by a gaggle of fine actors playing the Deans, Magruder, Liddy, Felt, etc. I'm only 6 episodes (of 8) in, so if you've seen all of it, no spoilers please! :)
vandono

Post by vandono »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:30 am
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:24 am
MikeMillerwsj wrote: โ†‘Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:31 pm Stay tuned for the winner...
What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Letterkenny
Hey, Joe - how are ya now?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

vandono wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:07 pm Hey, Joe - how are ya now?
Good and you?

If I'm not 10 minutes early, I'm late.
vandono

Post by vandono »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:05 pm
Good and you?
Not so bad.
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:05 pm If I'm not 10 minutes early, I'm late.
Pitter patter
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

vandono wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:25 pm
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:05 pm
Good and you?
Not so bad.
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:05 pm If I'm not 10 minutes early, I'm late.
Pitter patter
Tick! Tock!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

It seems that "The Repair Shop" is no longer available, We were watching it on Discovery+ but it was mysteriously discontinued.

We've since become enamored with the remake of "All Creatures Great and Small." The main characters are quite charming and the scenes of the Yorkshire Dales are spectacular. And, of course, I love the Rover Sport car Siegfried Farnon drives. It reminds me of my old MG. Luckily, Series 1 and 2 are available at our local library so we watch the episodes over and over to gradually understand the dialogue with its heavy British and Scottish accent.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Looks like you can catch full episodes of the Repair Shop on YouTube (just search The Repair Shop full episodes)
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

The Practice on Amazon. I'm midway through season 6 and have loved the trip.