How Many Metas?

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
Inca

How Many Metas?

Post by Inca »

Curious minds want to know:

How many metas do you do each week or each month?

As for me, I do only the WSJ meta. Very occasionally, almost never, I'll attempt another. I console myself with the belief that all the super solvers on here must do, or have done, way more of them than I. Time to find out if I am right or not.
Hector

Post by Hector »

A lot. Basically:
Untitled.jpg
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Inca wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:49 pm Curious minds want to know:

As for me, I do only the WSJ meta. Very occasionally, almost never, I'll attempt another. I console myself with the belief that all the super solvers on here must do, or have done, way more of them than I. Time to find out if I am right or not.
I do the same as you, only the wsj meta and -almost- never others except the wsj daily crossword.

Iโ€˜m also curious how else Muggles use their brilliance when not doing metas. Surely in very important ways Iโ€˜d think.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

WSJCC, MGWCC, & MMMM, for sure.

About 1/3 to 1/2 of MMMs, MEOWs, PBs. Will be adding MikeyG's PoaK & Ricky's LDs to the 1/3 to 1/2 Club, I plan & hope. Wish I could do them all as they are all excellent!

Subscribe to JJs & PGW but haven't gotten into the flow of solving them. They are also beyond excellent, but not in my habit, yet, and likely won't be with time constraints.

Other big, personal puzzle time-stealers are the "Saturday" WSJ Number Puzzles, which drop at 10 AM ET, Thursdays. That's a solid hour or three every week.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Metas I always do are WSJ, MMMM, MGWCC, PB, Fireball, and Mikey's. If PGW ever comes out of meta retirement, I would definitely add that.

I often do the Muggle Monday. I always at least attempt the Fill Me In and Lexicon Devil, but I'll not feel compelled to stick with them as long if I struggle. I also regularly do some puzzles on the calendar that aren't meta crosswords. I don't do the MEOWs at this time, because I do need a little bit of time for things like eating and sleeping.
Inca

Post by Inca »

SReh26 wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:59 pm
Inca wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:49 pm Curious minds want to know:

I do the same as you, only the wsj meta and -almost- never others except the wsj daily crossword.

Iโ€˜m also curious how else Muggles use their brilliance when not doing metas. Surely in very important ways Iโ€˜d think.
I do other crosswords as well: WSJ daily & NYT every day and Sunday (although I sometimes fall behind) I used to do (try to do) the WSJ cryptics but I don't have a printer here and they don't have a version I can do online
hoover

Post by hoover »

I'm basically a Monday-Wednesday-Friday (Thursday) kinda guy, i.e. Muggle Meta Monday, MEOW, and the WSJ. I've tried the MMMM a couple times but like I've said in another thread, I suck at post-1850s music. Once you start getting into that newfangled Bruckner, Saint-Saรซns, and god forbid you go as late and wild-n-crazy as Schoenberg, I'm lost.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Almost always: WSJ, MMM, Pandora's Box, MEOW, PGW (if he comes back).
Often: Lexican Devil, MikeyG
Sometimes: Fill Me In, MMMM
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

hoover wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:29 pm I'm basically a Monday-Wednesday-Friday (Thursday) kinda guy, i.e. Muggle Meta Monday, MEOW, and the WSJ. I've tried the MMMM a couple times but like I've said in another thread, I suck at post-1850s music. Once you start getting into that newfangled Bruckner, Saint-Saรซns, and god forbid you go as late and wild-n-crazy as Schoenberg, I'm lost.
No Stravinsky for you, then? Chopin?

Did you recognize Preterossoโ€˜s moniker? There was a composer who was known for that nickname.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Iโ€™m with Hector. I do every one I can find. With some whose constructors are a little iffy I limit the amount of time I will spend on the meta to about an hour. If I donโ€™t see the answer by then, or at least a clear path, I put it away and may or may not return to it.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Of the weeklies, I do WSJ and MGWCC always and MMM and Pandora often.

Others, I do MMMM, Fill Me In, and Fireball.

If those are quick and I end up with extra time, Iโ€™ll look at one of the others, but that doesnโ€™t happen too often.
TMart

Post by TMart »

WSJ, MGWCC always, and MMM most of the time each week. I'll sometimes do MEOW and Pandora, but not very often. I also do MMMM every month, which I really enjoy, and sometimes I'll spend a little time trying to finish some of the handful of half-completed metas I've tried to construct but can't quite get over the finish line.

But I've spent signficantly less time on metas overall since the grandson arrived 8 months ago. Eating and sleeping is overrated. :lol:
femullen

Post by femullen »

I do only the WSJ meta. And when I say "do," I mean I fill out the grid and then dig holes. If you mean "do" as in "do to completion," I do only about 40% of the them.

Other than that, I have a full-time job, a long commute, a family, dogs, service organizations to serve, a lawn to mow, smallmouth bass to bother... I don't know how people find time for more than one meta. Well, unless you're Al Sisti, and they take you only ten minutes.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I like doing Pandora's Blocks because Will produces quality puzzles which are checked by an editorial team. I stopped doing most of the amateur and one-man-show metas because it's not worth the frustration when there's an error in the puzzle or the esoteric mechanism hasn't been vetted by anyone besides the creator.