Variations on a theme

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
elementary

Post by elementary »

I see (what I think to be) the first step but after many rabbit holes I still don't know where to go next. Can anyone give me a nudge?

Edit: got it, thank you to those who nudged me along!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Didn't get copy of the special puzzle until this morning.
Workdays and metas do not go together!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Eureka! Just got it.

I started yesterday afternoon, some slow and steady progress initially, then dead in the water. Time in the garden this afternoon, then had a new idea to try while I was in the shower. THAT didn’t work out either, but it just must have shaken things loose enough so that I could see what to do next!

I was one of the ones discouraged by the “need to be a subscriber” message, so I missed the live session last week, but enjoyed watching the recording later! Will try to get in on the live one hopefully this week!
Meg

Post by Meg »

BethA wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:48 pm Eureka! Just got it.

I started yesterday afternoon, some slow and steady progress initially, then dead in the water. Time in the garden this afternoon, then had a new idea to try while I was in the shower. THAT didn’t work out either, but it just must have shaken things loose enough so that I could see what to do next!

I was one of the ones discouraged by the “need to be a subscriber” message, so I missed the live session last week, but enjoyed watching the recording later! Will try to get in on the live one hopefully this week!
I subscribed for 2 months. Cost $1.00. I thought those 3 guys were worth a buck.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:48 pm Oh, that was so much fun! Thank you, Matt!
I think we have Mike to thank for this one, Wendy!

I enjoyed that very much, but maybe only after I solved it! I didn't get to it until about an hour ago. I was grateful for the diversion on a non-holiday Monday!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Done and Done with no hissing from me or my tires. Always nice to find the 100% beach, when you can!
Cheers!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

sanmilton wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:26 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:48 pm Oh, that was so much fun! Thank you, Matt!
I think we have Mike to thank for this one, Wendy!

You are right, thanks! It is of course by Mike Shenk. I had Matt's "Where's the Rest?" on top of my clipboard for ready reference in today's postmortem discussion.
I just watched the presentation and can't wait for this Thursday's chat!
WLW.
Good luck, fellow Muggles! I'm happy to give nudges, but only if you're still stuck on Sunday. Just send me a PM and tell me what you've tried so far.
MMac

Post by MMac »

Tricky, clever, elegant, and impressive. Solving a puzzle like this makes me feel like Nicolas Cage (in “National Treasure”, of course).
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Looked at it some more and I do have it now. It's something that was one of my initial off-the-cuff answers but as I didn't see a typical path toward it, I discarded it too quickly. But definitely an appropriate answer, with a good mechanism and route after all. And I think too that I understand the reasoning for this kind of puzzle.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

It took a while but I figured it out.
Good puzzle!
spotter

Post by spotter »

I've managed to solve this one! Thanks Joe Ross for sharing the puzzle. I didn't realize until today that I was able to get my hands on it without being a plus subscriber.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Funny story - my GF hates crossword puzzles with a passion but likes puzzles in general. She has been intrigued by watching me do the WSJCC puzzle - mainly because she finds it amusing when I throw things. But a few weeks ago I showed her a couple completed grids for some easier puzzles that I was able to solve. She wasn’t able to solve them. However, I came home today and she had dug this puzzle out of the trash in my office - and amazingly solved it. I found that funny because I didn’t solve it and because the only notes I had on it other than the complete grid were all wrong. So I may end up with an in-house solving partner for future WSJCC (although I really want to at least try it on my own). The downside is - she is WAY smarter than me so I might have to live with some Thur/Fri gloating!
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

I am completely lost at sea on this one. Repeated sessions of staring at the grid produce no progress.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Got it. With 26 hours to spare!
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

Took me a long time to find everyone here in the Acapulco Lounge. And I was also searching for the bonus puzzle after hearing about it on the livestream. Also took longer to fill out the grid than to solve the meta.

But I did it!

So to recap, chronologically:
1: Find bonus puzzle.
2: Solve the grid.
3: Solve the meta.
4: Find the Acapulco Lounge.

In order of difficulty:
1. Solve the meta.
2. Solve the grid.
3. Find bonus puzzle.
4. Find Acapulco Lounge.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally got it!
Heidi
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

I got it! One of my first totally unassisted solves...
KscX

Post by KscX »

Who will pm with me to check my approaches? I have some coincidences but nothing that I think is super-solid...
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

One last try before going to bed proves to be the charm!
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I believe I solved after a few rabbit holes! I sent in an answer, then woke up with a new tactic and voila! What happens if you send in a wrong answer and later, a correct answer?