# 15- “Three in One”

Published weekly by expert constructor Peter Gordon, the Fireball crossword is famous for being hard. How hard? Well, in the words of Peter Gordon, if you need to ask, too hard for you! It is not regularly a meta crossword, but does feature a contest or meta puzzle several times throughout the year. Available here for a subscription: http://www.fireballcrosswords.com
Dannyvee

# 15- “Three in One”

Post by Dannyvee »

Three in One by Patrick Berry

What two-word phrase of six letters is hinted at by this puzzle?

Submitted and confident. Excellent meta as you would expect from Gordon/ Berry
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Very nice puzzle by the master. I tried many things and finally got lucky.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Outstanding, so elegant. Patrick Berry is in a class all by himself.
Toby

Post by Toby »

See something that can't be just a coincidence, but everything else I see can be, so stuck right now.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:22 pm Outstanding, so elegant. Patrick Berry is in a class all by himself.
Elegant -- that's exactly the word I thought of. This is a meta I'd use to explain metas to a newbie.

I've finally given in and ordered the Containment Policy collection. I had been thinking I was doing too many puzzles. But who can resist a PB set?
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:58 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:22 pm Outstanding, so elegant. Patrick Berry is in a class all by himself.
Elegant -- that's exactly the word I thought of. This is a meta I'd use to explain metas to a newbie.

I've finally given in and ordered the Containment Policy collection. I had been thinking I was doing too many puzzles. But who can resist a PB set?
That Containment suite is one for the ages. You won't regret buying it or doing it.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Great puzzle. It’s a joy to see a puzzle that tight.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

oldjudge wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:35 pm Great puzzle. It’s a joy to see a puzzle that tight.
That's a great word for it...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hmm. I have an answer, and based on what I see, I'd call this a perfectly fine meta, but I don't know that I'd use the superlatives I see here. In particular, I don't see the bow on top to wrap it all up.

Think I'll sleep on this and look again in the morning before submitting. Wonder if I'm missing something or just different tastes.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Just finished the grid. This is my first fireball contest and I have a question. I solved the grid using AcrossLite - but despite being what I think is completely correct, I don’t get the happy “you solved this correctly” music. Is that because it is a contest?
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

MamaE wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:43 pm Just finished the grid. This is my first fireball contest and I have a question. I solved the grid using AcrossLite - but despite being what I think is completely correct, I don’t get the happy “you solved this correctly” music. Is that because it is a contest?
Exactly right.

Specifically - Peter has "X" entered as the "correct" letter for every square in the grid as the "solution" in the PUZ file.
So no happy music, no confirmation that your grid is correct.

(You can discover this with a reveal all - don't do it, unless you want to erase and refill the grid.)
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

RPardoe wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 pm
MamaE wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:43 pm Just finished the grid. This is my first fireball contest and I have a question. I solved the grid using AcrossLite - but despite being what I think is completely correct, I don’t get the happy “you solved this correctly” music. Is that because it is a contest?
Exactly right.

Specifically - Peter has "X" entered as the "correct" letter for every square in the grid as the "solution" in the PUZ file.
So no happy music, no confirmation that your grid is correct.

(You can discover this with a reveal all - don't do it, unless you want to erase and refill the grid.)
Yeah, uh, too late :oops: did that already. LOL
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Puzzle done, answer submitted, Containment Policy ordered... thanks Patrick & Peter!
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

If anyone is willing to give a small nudge - I'd love one. I am at a loss with this meta.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

MamaE wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:17 pm If anyone is willing to give a small nudge - I'd love one. I am at a loss with this meta.
Well, after grinding on this all evening, I believe I have the answer....but I agree that it doesn’t feel like it has a bow on top. May sleep on it.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MamaE wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:53 am Well, after grinding on this all evening, I believe I have the answer....but I agree that it doesn’t feel like it has a bow on top. May sleep on it.
A kind muggle explained what ties it all together, and it was something I'd never heard of. (Though when I asked my husband about it, he knew it right away.)
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:28 am
MamaE wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:53 am Well, after grinding on this all evening, I believe I have the answer....but I agree that it doesn’t feel like it has a bow on top. May sleep on it.
A kind muggle explained what ties it all together, and it was something I'd never heard of. (Though when I asked my husband about it, he knew it right away.)
I suspect that is my issue too. I have certainly never heard of this thing - but google shows me it exists. :lol:
Joe

Post by Joe »

I've got something that has to be it, so I'm submitting. But I think I must be missing a step? I'll find out tomorrow!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Submitted, thanks to a focusing nudge. Click "like" if the meta answer conjures up memories of one specific person who was well known for a few years in the not-that-distant past....
Tina

Post by Tina »

MikeM000 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:14 am Submitted, thanks to a focusing nudge. Click "like" if the meta answer conjures up memories of one specific person who was well known for a few years in the not-that-distant past....
There's only one person you could possibly be talking about, Mike. You must be about my age and from New England.
oilcanb.jpg