#21 - "Double-Deal"

Published weekly by expert constructor Peter Gordon, the Fireball crossword is famous for being hard. How hard? Well, in the words of Peter Gordon, if you need to ask, too hard for you! It is not regularly a meta crossword, but does feature a contest or meta puzzle several times throughout the year. Available here for a subscription: http://www.fireballcrosswords.com
BrianMac
Site Admin

#21 - "Double-Deal"

Post by BrianMac »

Fireball Crossword #21 should have hit your inbox. It is entitled "Double-Deal," and is written by Patrick Berry, which means we are in for a treat. The prompt is: What card game is hinted at by this puzzle?

Peter is giving us an extra day for Memorial Day, so the deadline is Monday at 6 p.m. Eastern.

Enjoy and good luck!
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

This one seemed too easy, so I'm guessing my solution might not be correct!
Hector

Post by Hector »

I have the answer but I wouldn't call it easy . . .
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Hector wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:28 pm I have the answer but I wouldn't call it easy . . .
Yeah, I would agree...
Tina

Post by Tina »

Wow. Really struggling. Can't tell if I'm over-thinking it or under-thinking it.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I have an answer. Sure wish I was certain. Will ponder some more.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Very tidy and pageant-free. Reminiscent of another recent meta.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Really enjoyed this one, came quickly but I wouldn't call it easy
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

My initial thought on the solution, arrived at quickly, seems too easy. Plus there’s a little something about it that doesn’t seem right. So I’ll keep looking ...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Glad I held off. Revisited, tried something, noticed something interesting, played it out ... and got it!

Good one! As you’d expect from all-time-great Patrick B.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Glad I pondered.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I had to get help. Got the beginning parts, but got stuck.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Swell... good people are hesitating. Maybe I pulled the trigger too fast? Can't have been a coincidence... could it?
Meg

Post by Meg »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:41 pm Swell... good people are hesitating. Maybe I pulled the trigger too fast? Can't have been a coincidence... could it?
Al, let me just say that this required a logical step it did not occur to me to make until I was shoved in the right direction. That probably says more about my skills than it does the meta. The brain sees what the brain sees.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I nervously sent in my answer. Al, I agree, no coincidence. But, what could I have missed?
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

With a Hulk Hogan nudge or an Arnold Stang push I think I have arrived at the right place.It’s interesting, but I wouldn’t call it beautiful.
markhr

Post by markhr »

After several false starts, I finally figured it out. It's a 100-percenter, for sure. Neat little puzzle.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Oh my goodness. I, too, am glad I held off. Now that I've solved the mystery of the sphinx, I guess I'll get back to the Gaffney. That thing still makes zero sense to me.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:41 pm Swell... good people are hesitating. Maybe I pulled the trigger too fast? Can't have been a coincidence... could it?
Congrats, Al!
"The randomly chosen winner of a subscription to Year 12 of Fireball Crosswords, signed copies of "Sizzlingly Hard Fireball Crosswords," "Blazingly Hard Fireball Crosswords," "Infernally Hard Fireball Crosswords," "Hellaciously Hard Fireball Crosswords," "Diabolically Hard Fireball Crosswords," "Scorchingly Hard Fireball Crosswords," "Wickedly Hard Fireball Crosswords," and "Devilishly Hard Fireball Crosswords," a Fireball Crosswords baseball cap, a Fireball Crosswords lanyard, and a Fireball Crosswords bottle opener and keychain with light is:
Alex Sisti of Whitesboro, New York
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Congratulations Al!!