#41 - "Go Figure"

Published weekly by expert constructor Peter Gordon, the Fireball crossword is famous for being hard. How hard? Well, in the words of Peter Gordon, if you need to ask, too hard for you! It is not regularly a meta crossword, but does feature a contest or meta puzzle several times throughout the year. Available here for a subscription: http://www.fireballcrosswords.com
Hector

#41 - "Go Figure"

Post by Hector »

What five-letter word is hinted at by this puzzle?
Hector

Post by Hector »

This is very nicely done, and a nice aha! and onto the races solve.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cute! Not the first rabbit hole I thought about, but not too far away from it.
RunRuskyRun

Post by RunRuskyRun »

I'm worried this one was too easy. I know Gordon's puzzles are typically much less complicated than the various contributors', but still. I had this one solved (solved?) off the theme and one clue, without even using the grid. The grid supports my answer, but either I haven't dug deep enough, I solved it off a decent guess and then robbed myself of the aha moment, or it really just is that easy.
Hector

Post by Hector »

RunRuskyRun wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:25 pm I'm worried this one was too easy. I know Gordon's puzzles are typically much less complicated than the various contributors', but still. I had this one solved (solved?) off the theme and one clue, without even using the grid. The grid supports my answer, but either I haven't dug deep enough, I solved it off a decent guess and then robbed myself of the aha moment, or it really just is that easy.
Hmm. Not sure what you mean, but the mechanism should more than "support" the answer; it's 100%.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got it. On the easy side, but something of a relief, after having to do a fair amount of mind bending with yesterday's PGWCC.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Nice one...
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

Absolutely no clue, per usual.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Done and done. And fun!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Decided to fill in the grid just before going to sleep last night so I could ponder the meta overnight.
As I worked the grid, the meta mechanism made itself known to me and ended up solving the meta as well.

As Al says above, nice one...
Toby

Post by Toby »

What a pleasure. Enjoyable grid and fun meta.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Great puzzle that I only realized I missed when Peter Gordon e-mailed me and asked me how I got my answer. I returned to the puzzle and realized I messed up. Then I had to tell him. The shame...oh the shame!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Thurman8er wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:30 pm Great puzzle that I only realized I missed when Peter Gordon e-mailed me and asked me how I got my answer. I returned to the puzzle and realized I messed up. Then I had to tell him. The shame...oh the shame!
I'm laughing with you, not at you. :)