"Light Switches" - May 17, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Stumped even though I see the path (signed on this week for MGWCC that our gurus on here have been talking about, I have to solve this one before enjoying it though)
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Took me a bit, but I got there.
Icdogg

Post by Icdogg »

Didn't see it after staring at it for several minutes last night but this afternoon I saw the path in about 30 seconds
jamescarter

Post by jamescarter »

I'm ashore after chasing several empty rabbit holes. Finally saw it. Fun construction.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Tony S wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 pm For those who have solved the meta and are looking for a weekend challenge, the cryptic puzzle "Hex Signs" in the June issue of Harper's is a real gem. Solving cryptics remains my best training for cracking these metas.
Looks like you have to be a subscriber to get it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Anita wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:32 pm
Tony S wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 pm For those who have solved the meta and are looking for a weekend challenge, the cryptic puzzle "Hex Signs" in the June issue of Harper's is a real gem. Solving cryptics remains my best training for cracking these metas.
Or go to your neighborhood library and photocopy it.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LesY

Post by LesY »

The WSJ Saturday Variety puzzle is a cryptic this week. Just posted.
Gwyneth_S

Post by Gwyneth_S »

Just picked out my bar stool....with endless choices given the dearth of patrons today. I’ll keep Isaac company but hopefully not for long.
Gwyneth_S

Post by Gwyneth_S »

Oh, my! Sorry to sip and run, Isaac, I got it! So long for now.
Very fun meta.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

BIG fan of this week’s puzzle...now that I’m on shore! 😄🍷
Konnie
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Friday evening report.
Gwyneth and Chris Kochmanski both experienced Post-Enlightenment (i.e., when you get the answer moments after posting that you're stumped!) and are the latest additions to the beach, along with Conrad, Jeremy Smith, Bill S., Tom Wilson, PDDigi, Maine Marge, Cindy, Les Y, Janet P, D. B. Miller, Thurman8er, I.C. Dogg, I'm On Too, and James Carter. Kay W and Jen Irvin have "a" meta answer but aren't entirely certain it's the right one. Joining Anita at Isaac's bar are Deb F and Guy.
I enjoy seeing everyone's photos/avatars (or, in Old Judge's case, aviators). What a good-looking bunch!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Very fast solve for me. Didn't need the 70A nudge. Don't have to spend the weekend feeling inadequate.

Just want to add - by the dearth of posts on WSJ site, looks like most everyone has managed to slum their way over here. Great work Brian Mac!
Last edited by 31 Down on Fri May 17, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
Janet

Post by Janet »

On the beach. I was all ready for a weekend of rabbit hunting, but the light bulb went on over my head much too soon. I never even unpacked my bag on the love boat.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

LesY wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:19 pm
The WSJ Saturday Variety puzzle is a cryptic this week. Just posted.

To get the Harper's cryptic you either have to be a subscriber or buy a single issue from a magazine rack. The library also may have a copy. Fortunately, the monthly cryptic in the WSJ is available to everyone. It looks pretty twisted this month. Cox/Rathvon rank among the best puzzle makers currently active.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore........couple of weeks in a row - about time for the mug!
Patty Mack

Post by Patty Mack »

Wendy, am on shore with the crowd so please add me to your list!
NoMajNoMug

Post by NoMajNoMug »

On shore with a little help from mi madre. Ok, a lot of help, work was too busy to allow me to work the puzzle.

In other news, I found this grid really hard, the proper nouns got me again!
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved!
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore. Thought this meta was going to go a different way, but didn’t.
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

I'm also not feeling this one. I'm hoping that posting will lead to "post-enlightenment."